Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How many hamb members have pontiac safaris?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i worked with a fella named wayne crump. he built one basically stock in the '80s. he got a BUNCH of parts by visiting pontiac dealers in small towns. many had nos stuff. he told me about buying the lighted hood ornament in hannibal, mo., for the 1955 price (about $6) because they had no way to know what "today's" value might be!

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  2. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

3. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

4. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

5. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Just joined the club!

Attached Files:

6. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

welcome, I just picked up another one as well

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I was a kid in the 60's or early 70's there was one made into 4 wheel drive in my neighborhood. primer black as I recall.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

There's a blue and white 57 that I've seen at a couple of different rod runs thats LS-1 powered. One of the nicest I've seen. Can't for sure remember what tag it had. Iowa???

9. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And you thought Nomad parts were hard to find!
    I recall a high school mate saying how hard of a time he had finding Safari specific parts.
    This was about 1971, he had two of them, 56's if I remember right.

11. 1957 CANADIAN sedan delivery. Probably IMO about 300 built when new. A mix-up of Pontiac and Chevrolet. Shorter than US Pontiac as built on Chevrolet chassis with Chevrolet drivetrain. Odds are it came with Chev six cylinder & standard trans. All were basic workhorse with economy in mind. I own a 1955 Canadian Pontiac sedan delivery I bought from Saskatchewan. No drivetrain n missing very hard to come by taillights.
    In the 70s my brother n I lived in Seattle n both had Safari. His a metallic 55 with black tuck n roll and chrome reverse rims. Mine was a red (looks almost brown) stock 57 Safari. We moved with them to Calgary. But a few years later sold in Calgary when we moved back to US. I have since bought a basket case 57 out of Sacramento with the same stock color and accessories to recreate mine.
    When we say Safari most of us mean 2 door hardtop wagon (like Nomad) but Safari was Pontiac's regular wagon line (2 door post n 4 door). Pontiac also built a fancy 4 door Safari wagon (Intercontinental ?) With extra stainless and a fold flat passenger front seat with headrest.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

The fancy 4-door Safari wagon was called “Transcontinental”.

13. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

ya I am having nooo luck at all. still trying

14. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

about 20 years ago we had a chance to buy a rust free sedan delivery from CA, the guy had 3 57's. 1 custom safari, one transcontinental, and then the sedan delivery...... wish I got the SD, it was a light blue color all original... think he cut his hand bad or fingers off and needed the money. If I remember right his name was Mike

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

My neighbor has one, '55 or '56, I'm not sure which. He has owned it f-o-r-e-v-e-r and is now "working" on it. A PO did some funky/gaudy customizing on the quarters years ago, but my neighbor does have a set of quarters to replace them. Somehow I fear at some point I'll be dragged into the project. Honestly, unless my neighbor decides to focus on the Safari instead of cleaning his gutters, blowing leaves and every other distraction he can think of with such regularly it will some day be sold at his estate sale.

Lynn

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

There is a nice 55 on Facebook Marketplace Columbus Ohio right now. I didn't link to it as it will go dead at some point but here is a pic. OK price IMO.

If someone here buys it, tell them they owe me a spiff.

safari.jpg