Register now to get rid of these ads!

How man have sold a classic car to find out it was being shipped over seas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmurphy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Any doubts about "non US" hardcore traditional rodders, search out the thread "UK RELIABILITY RUN"! :D

2. Rem

Rem

That's a coincidence - while scrolling through this thread, I have Smokin' Shutdown #15 on my desk, open at the feature on your truck!

My '34 Tudor was built in Canada for export to South Africa, where it spent nearly 70 years. Then in 2002 it came to England. My '55 F-250 was built and used in California until 2005, then was parked up. It came over here last year, and hopefully will be back up and running this summer - something that possibly wasn't going to happen where it was.

3. I bought my car out of Miami.
    I thank you guys so much for building such cool rides.
    '49 Lincoln Coupe.

4. 55olds88

55olds88

I felw over, had a months holiday and bought my Olds 13 or so years back, personally I wouldn't stress about it, hell we don't complain about the mini's and anglias going back to the USA and everytime the US economy is stong and our dollar weak there is a load of interesting stuff going back to the US, I personally overheard a US buyer on the phone to a guy here picking up a steel 32 at a NZ swap a few years back.
    and I figure we still buy less for export then you lot let rot out the back 40....

5. Slate

Slate

America - the hot rod/classic car equivalent of Mexican upholstery shops

6. viralto

viralto

The '64 Pontiac Grand Prix I brought in to the UK from LA in October 2006 cost me:

$10,000 for the car
    $500 trucking to the port
    $1500 shipping
    $1200 in import tax
    $2310 in UK sales tax
    $600 in port landing fees
    $70 UK registration fee
    $80 MOT test (to get certified for road use)
    $400 per year in insurance
    $7000 per year to rent a workshop to keep it in (UK garages aren't long enough!)
    $3433 per year in fuel ($8.24/US gallon @ 12mpg x 5000 miles per year)

You can rest assured that my 'cheap' American car is being cared for properly. I have a $10,000 Pontiac sitting in a heated workshop and a $90,000 Mercedes CLS sitting outside in the rain! If things got tough I'd let that CLS go without a second thought but the thought of losing that big, ugly Pontiac makes me truly sad. Every time I sit in it, it makes me grin like a fool. It's not even a particularly desirable model but over here, on this tiny little island full of tiny little cars, it's really something special.

7. suavemechanic

suavemechanic

greeting from australia !
    yep we love them too !
    local muscle cars that we used to buy for a weekend of thrashing are now worth a years pay for a fixer upper......
    i recently tried to buy back my old " apprentice car " and found i could fly to the us and get my dream car instead ( and a house to put it in )
    currently running a left hand drive mustang on right hand drive roads
    ......interesting, at least i dont just look at it
    we are a bit flooded with stangs at the moment so if you want a nice one come on over and have a look
    since the dollar changed every one had the same idea at once !

ten years ago i scored a really worked harley while in the us and bought it home our dollar was .50 c us then so i paid double plus 50% import duty
    massive issues getting through our rego system ,ended up buying a bare frame that had been registered here and swapping all the bits in.it was that or put it all back to standard ( even the little reflectors on the forks and the fuel cap ! )

if you love your car dont sell her to a movie !

8. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Hmm. so my money is not good enough or what's the fuzz?? I think this discussion is silly. I bought a car a year ago in U.S and drove it from N Y to L A, then shipped it home, not because I love it, but to get a good car to the swedish/european scene. Europe has imported U S car since Henry started his business so stop nagging. When I sell the Bel Air I probably take the money and go to Australia for a month of vacation. This is said by a guy who loves New York.

9. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

selling an american car to a foreigner; sure. i saw three mexicans at home depot just now that wanted my ride. :D

10. carguy88

carguy88
    from Europe

hi! I'm from Portugal...is this the car you sold in Portugal? It's safe to say that it is the only Hot Rod in Portugal...and looks PERFECT.

PM sent ;)

[​IMG]

11. Selling overseas doesn't bother me a bit. I've sent two Bonneville convertibles, a '59 El Camino, and a '72 Catalina coupe to Germany, all in the early '90s. I know several non-HAMB cars that have been across the pond four or five times each since 1990 or so. Makes no difference to me if the buyer is in Texas, New York, or Belgium. Cash is cash, and some lucky new owner will have a vehicle they can enjoy. I bought a '67 Belvedere I wagon that was exported to Belgium new and used as a hearse, drove it in Germany for a year, than exported it to the States, picking it up in Houston. It was exported new, so did I bring one "home" that was supposed to be here, or did I "take" one from a potential European buyer's grasp?

Why should we as Americans, have a monopoly on enjoying these, or any other car??? These overseas buyers buy our cars for the same reasons they come over here to drive the length of Route 66 or the Lincoln Highway - they grew up never knowing first-hand what we as Americans take for granted about these cars and things every day! They've read about them, and dress up like our fathers did in the '50s, and have Elvis impersonation contests!

I went to several US-car shows in Europe when I was stationed in Germany from '89-'92 - this was the time of the Fall of the Wall, and I was a member of a German US car club in Essen. Our club went to an all-US car show in Magdeberg, in what was then EAST Germany. Over 800 US cars from seventeen countries were there, including Russia, the Ukraine, Hungary, and Poland, plus the western countries, too! The enthusiasm over the cars was pretty damn cool to see. When folks learned my wife and I were the only people there from the US (plus our US Forces Germany tag on the truck stood out a little!), they wanted to know everything about the US, and spoke their best English to us! It was a great time! We still correspond with a couple of folks we met there, after nearly 20 years!

So, the European US car enthusiasts are in many ways MORE fanatical than some of you guys that think the cars should "stay here" in the US. You bad-mouth what you don't know, and that is not a good thing.

Oh, and guess what, guys and girls? A lot of these cars will come back to the US and Canada!!! Wow, what a concept! The exchange rate will favor US again one day, and you will see US cars that were exported once, be brought right back home! It works that way! Really!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  12. Everywhere on the European Continent, along with Scandinavia, and the former USSR, is LHD, just like the US and Canada. Great Britain and Ireland (both island nations) are RHD.

Right hand drive countries include MOST of what was the British Empire, such as South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, India, Burma, Hong Kong, Singapore, and a handful of others; plus Japan and (I think) Thailand.

13. jmthehermit

jmthehermit
    from Bath, Pa.

After 36 years of ownership, sold my '63 Cadillac convertible to a guy in Sweden. I had it since 1967. Lost storage and it was too long to fit in my garage. I'm down to my last high school car now.

14. i had a '59 el camino got to japan and a '50 buick fastback go to finland.....both years ago.

15. BEAR

BEAR

i just sold a 35 ford truck this past summer that is going to England next month

16. hearsegal

hearsegal
    from Australia

I bought my 64 Cadillac Hearse from Vegas ...shipped to Western Australia in June 08. Our 59 cadillac hearse was shipped over here in 97. We get letters and offers for the 59 every week from guys in the USA wanting to buy it back. Its not for sale. I dont think sellers should keep too closed a mind on selling overseas. More often than not its the overseas buyer who is prepared to pay good money for the cars.....more often than not most US ctizens expect to pay very little for them....I guess because there may be more over there to choose from. Well...thats the way I see it anyway.

17. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Sold 2 Impalas (one 62 and one 64) to fellas in Japan. My 63 Impala was sold to a guy here in DC that drove it while here for 2 years and then shipped it to Germany when reassigned. He sold it a few months later a fairly massive profit.
    So far 4 bikes I've sold have gone overseas......but thats pushing the topic.
    Whats interesting is the market is now reversing so the demand is stateside and people overseas are selling these cars (and bikes) back to the US.

18. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

In the UK they say, America's on SALE!!!

19. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I've got a 1953 Chevy 210
    a 1955 Chevy Belair
    a 1966 Chevy El Camino
    A 1989 Chevy P/U , 1995 Chevy suburban,
    1998 Acura RL 3.5.
    They can Buy and SHIP ANYWHERE in the world if
    THE PRICE IS RIGHT..............

20. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

last year at the heartland goodguys had my off topic pro touring 67 mustang big block fastback there dealer calls asks how much told him $40k says he'll take it wants it for his personal collection was hessitant to sell but was the first real person to anti up so car hauler shows up mon 2 pick it up found it on ebay a week later he sold it to a guy in australia for 63k i was a little irrate when i found out he had just flipped it and it wasnt staying in the u.s. especially since i had offered him 2500 over what he gave me 2 days after selling it before i knew he was just going to resell it ! on the bright side i dont have to see it every time i go to cruise night and see how the owner has screwed things up!

21. Yelton57

Yelton57
    BANNED

Not hamb material but i sent a '74 Mark 4 to austria. This car was owned by the owner of g.f. spangenberg which was the original gun shop in tombstone az. The guy from austria had seen the car in tombstone and tried to buy it but the owner wouldnt sell it. I bought it from his wife after he died.

22. Yelton57

Yelton57
    BANNED

but yeah, fuck asia right? all they send us is plastic shit in return for our steel.

23. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Down here in the South Pacific we have to be very careful with the amount of cars that we are bringing here as its going to either sink our Islands or unbalance the World.

24. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Bollocks man! The more real cars the better. The world is already unbalanced. :D

25. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Thailand yes

26. i'll put a car on the "space shuttle" if the moon is where the buyer lives! this week we had all better be glad anything we have will sell. when the bank reposses your home because you can't pay the mortgage hope your really attached to that vehicle you wouldn't sell overseas because its now your new "mobile home!":eek::eek:

27. normanpitkin

normanpitkin
    from london

hey wolfgang,
    ever see an mg or a jaguar or austin or morris in your neck of the woods? Haha,you got them and we are buying up all your cool stuff!! Seriously ,isn't it a compliment to the fine automobiles, that we are all shipping over here?