Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how low can I go ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kyotb8, Jan 17, 2014.

1. kyotb8

kyotb8

Hey Everyone, I'm mocking up my 39 Plymouth pickup. Got the wheels and tires sitting in the fenders on blocks. Taking pictures so I remember how everything sits. The wheelbase will be about 111-112 inches, and I want to run low, but not worry about roadkill or speed bumps too much.
    NO BAGS. Figuring on 7" from the bottom of the running board to the street. (the board will be the lowest part of the truck)
    Anybody drive one lower ? Anyone care to comment ? A buddy has a rod that the bottom of the front bumper is 6" off the street. Of course he says " If it don't drag a little, it ain't low enough" . Comments ? Suggestions welcome.

2. since you have pictures you should post them

on the car in my avatar the front of the running board are 5-1/2" from the ground

3. verde742

verde742

most laws state: nuthing below lowest part of the rim, known as "scrub line"

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I've driven probably half a dozen cars that the lowest part whatever it may be was at. 4"

Heck my late model is stock and the rockers only clear the top of my work boots by maybe an inch at most.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. banginona40

banginona40

5" minimum clearance. Of course I should listen to my own advice. 3 1/2" seems to work OK for me.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, how are planning to get it low?

7. 7 inches is plenty safe. I think 5 inches is the practical limit to be a real driver without scraping too much.

I have driven cars with 4 inches range, no bags, and speed bumps and high center driveways can be opportunities to leave some paint or metal behind.

On my current 52 GMC project I am shooting for the same 7 inches clearance at the bottom of the running boards

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

While it's sitting as you like it check tire clearance and full lock clearance, and don't forget the scrub-line, you don't want to lay frame at 80mph.

9. 7",are you building a 4 wheel drive truck? :D

My splash apron on my Deuce pickup is almost 3" and it has a few scrape marks on the chin.

My running board measures right at 4 3/4". HRP

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

This is interesting. I would have guessed that most of you would have said 5" or more. I'm mocking up my '37 Chevy and thought that the 3" under the chin was too low.

In my OT pick-up, the front cross member is the low point. At 3 1/2" it has had some serious confrontations with road repair humps.

To be fair though, I live in Michigan where we don't even report a pothole unless it can swallow a Buick.

11. It will be -

12. My 48 Pontiac was just under 4" at the bottoms of the front fenders. Center of cross member was less and yeah, it hit sometimes. Had to get out and re-close the hood occasionally.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I have had who knows how many Washington state patrolmen tell me over the years. As long as no chassis part hangs down below the rims they won't bother you.

Other than that I'd have to say that the local road and driveway entrance conditions may have more influence in exactly how low you set it. In Bontful Utah stock height may be too low on some cars while in some parts of Texas 5 inches of clearance is more than enough. Just remember that it is roughe as hell on relationships if you have to tell your significant other to get out of the car so you can get it off the driveway entrance it is stuck on going in or out of a parking lot. My wife will tell you about climbing out with the kids so the truck could get off the bump in Utah.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, post some pics of your project

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I know. I'm going up!

16. banginona40

banginona40

Have you checked out the newer Corvettes or some of the BMW M3's. They are low.

17. Oh you mean the ones with flexible parts designed to move with road hazard impacts ?

18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, driven them. You have to be careful not to drag the airdams when going into/out of some parking lots and driveways, larger speed bumps,etc. Haven't had one scrape at speed though. Nor have I high centered one.

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Justabeater37.

I see how you avoided the very low chin of the 37 scraping the ground. I have a similar suspension on my 37. If it weren't for the grill, the front cross member would be the lowest point on the car.
    Also, like the 55? dash. The Ford guys have been doing this for years. Never saw a tri-5 dash in a pre war Chevy.

Lotta work in your car.

20. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's just a beater but thanks. Got burnt out and then moved. Hope to get back on it this year. To the OP, heed the scrub line advice or make anything below it easily crushable to get to it safely. Really low= low profile tires= not traditional.

21. Well I was taught to make it low enough that you can't drive it then raise it up 1/4 inch.

[​IMG]