Register now to get rid of these ads!

how is this effect created

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by your wheelbase is how big, Sep 17, 2008.

1. this bike was at a local show the other day how is this paint effect created i know someone on here must know with all the art tallent .

[​IMG]

2. ps sorry about the size of the above pic

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

4. portiadog

portiadog

I don't know but I really like the Angus Young caricature.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. R.Otto

R.Otto

6. donzzilla

donzzilla

I'd bet it's not any of the above. It looks more to be adigitally printed wrap. I have done all the procedures above many times and they don't make that effect. Simular, but not exact.

7. R.Otto

R.Otto

I think donzzilla is right.

8. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Yeah, I dont think it's a saran wrap tpye deal either, I've done my fair share of experimenting with those types of effects, and I've never seen one like that before... NOW I really want to know what it is too!

That cobweb stuff is fun though, I used to have my 56 primered with darker primer scallops that had purple cobweb on them. It looked pretty killer.... for the mid ninteen ninties...
    -GothY-

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Maybe done with a broom or brush?
    Silver topcoated with black, then "scratched" to show the silver, then candy blue????

It may just be a wrap that's been candied as mentioned....but the caricature is airbrushed....

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the saran wrap trick is close, but those lines are too uniform. i'd vote for digitally produced.

11. what is a saran wrap is that like a decal or what if so i cant see that because of the compound curves on the tank see pic

[​IMG]

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A decal "wrap" is a digital picture printed on a decal....they can conform to many shapes. Getting very popular for business vehicles. An entire car can be wrapped with one decal with any image or photgraph you want.

Attached Files:

13. ah in the glorios land of imigrants we call it clingfilm i suppose it could be but it looks more like engraving or somthing never seen it before is all

14. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I'd say it was stenciled with a bunch of freehand after. Definitely not the effect you get from Saran wrap/cling film.

15. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'd definitely say Alsa. I saw that stuff in person at SEMA. I thought it was pretty damn ugly. I figured the Donk guys would love it!

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from covina CA

saran wrap is a clingy plastic film kina like cellophane. we use it in the states to cover pots and bowls full of food and stuff we plan on saving.
    i believe the technique is you paint, put on the wrap, then remove it and color sand or somethiong like that, then aplly more paint. something like that anyway. this looks to be a digital wrap though like said before.

18. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

I think HOK used to have a similar product, although I don't see it on their website now?

It's similar to the marbelizing stuff, and like the Alsa product it was some sort of crystalizing effect.

They sell brush-on stuff for furniture to give it the 'distressed' look, too. That crap's available at the local hardware store.

19. americanautomoving

americanautomoving
    from Miami, Fl.

It's too uniform to be saran wrap..

20. junk fiend

junk fiend

i thought saran wrap was only used for the marble look, what ever that is it looks crazy.

21. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Lot's of drugs around 1979-1980:D or Saran Wrap, but you probably won't get the cool AC/DC graffics ...

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Definely Alsa product...

This stuff actually has chemicals in the paint that crystalize with each other to create the effect you see. The paint manufacturing company that I used to work for had a similar product they made and sold back in the 50's that was used on everything from Christmas Decorations to Translucent Bathroom Windows.

The green drum might be kinda cool with a big rat fink painted on the side!!!

Attached Files:

24. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I had that effect on the back of my fish tank when I was a kid. It's sold by Alsa corp but I personal havent had much luck getting that effect down.

25. I doubt if the "wrap" decals like they put on cars and vans could conform to that much shape, but I don't know for sure.

26. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

100% alsa crystal fx. candied blue. done deal.

27. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Dupont Hot Hues Crystal effect.

28. dupont hot hues has a similar product called crystalizer i thought it was kinda weird lookin but to each his own. it is shot down over silver base then shot over with black and washed off then kandied and cleared.

29. burtrido

burtrido

That is not a wrap. The gloss level is to high. And yes a digital print will conform to that and much more. I know I do wraps for a living!

30. Gerg

Gerg

definitly alsa played with it at my old body work job. Neat stuff good for small details i always thought but we did paint a car with it.