Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How I Spent my Summer Vacation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Oct 9, 2014.

  1. DRD57
    Joined: Mar 5, 2001
    Posts: 3,978


    Actually it was an autumn vacation but it’s still over 90F here so, it feels like summer.

    Morty invited me to ride shotgun in the HopUp Staff Car for the TRJ/TROG trip so, I got me an airline ticket on the crappiest airline in America and headed for the east coast. We started in Baltimore for the Rodder’s Journal show. Home away from home for the first few days was the Waterfront Marriott. Very nice place within walking distance of all manner of dining and entertainment establishments. Thursday night Mark, Evonne, and I crammed into the three window’s seat and crawled a few blocks to Fell’s Point for the kickoff party. We looked at some cars, caught up with some friends, and patronized the purveyors of food and drinks.

    Friday morning once again we squeezed into the car for a short trip to the starting point for the cruise to Havr de Grace (how do you say that again?). Since we were going to be driving for a while I hopped in the back seat of Bob and Maggie’s convertible for a little more space along with a great view with the top down. It was a beautiful drive. When we got there we staked out an outdoor table at the Tavern for a terrific lunch.
    Saturday was the TRJ show at Pimlico. The show was great, with lots of the best cars in the country however, I was a little surprised to see a few “non-TRJ like” cars on the grounds. I was also expecting a little more grandeur from the location being the location of the famed Preakness Stakes. It just looked like a big grass field me. The cars and people more than made up for that though and the weather was perfect.

    Sunday Mark and I hit the road and followed Dave, Kevin and their crew most of the way through six states ending in Rhode Island where we were set to check out a car for sale. Monday morning we got together with the seller and had an interesting meeting which included him showing us a portion of his car collection. When we were done there we headed west to get some miles under our belt toward our Tuesday destination in Carlisle, PA. Since we made good time on Monday we got to Carlisle around noon on Tuesday but, there wasn’t anything happening there yet so, we called it a day and hit it again on Wednesday where we walked damn near through the whole thing.
    Thursday we hit the road again with the end destination being Wildwood, NJ with a couple of stops along the way. The first stop was at Ross Meyer’s race shop and hot rod collection. The crew there was very hospitable in showing us around. There were a bunch of cool hot rods there as well as a bunch of Mustang road racers. The next stop was a bar-b-cue at Van’s somewhere just north of Wildwood. Lots of good food and hospitality there.

    Thursday night we rolled in to Wildwood just after dark and I have to say it was one of the creepiest experiences of my adult life. Due to a little navigation error we came in from the south on Ocean Ave. It looked like a post apocalyptic movie or an episode of the Twilight Zone, block after block of deserted streets and deserted hotels with the signs lit but little or no lights on inside. We rolled up to my hotel and there was NO BODY anywhere, the office was locked and the place looked vacant. Mark got somebody one the phone and she said she could see us out there. I guess she was hiding out in there somewhere. After I got settled I walked up to the host hotel, the Starlux and there was a little activity there. The racers were starting to show up and fill the parking lot reserved just for them.

    Since Morty got a prime parking spot right next to his room at the annex in the center of the action, we left it there for the weekend and the back bumper served as our front row seat for the evenings’ festivities. Some JD, a cigar, and a front row seat to watch the deserted city come to life. Friday we resumed our spots as people continued to roll into town for the event. Vintage Hot Rods and motorcycles everywhere. Everywhere within a couple blocks anyway, the rest of the town still looked like a deserted movie set.
    Friday before dark we wandered a couple blocks away for some dinner. While we were gone a PARTY had broken out. Everyone with excited anticipation of the weekend’s racing. Up ‘til then that was the highlight of the trip.

    Saturday however, trumped Friday night’s party by a fair margin. The Oilers did and incredible job of attending to every detail to make the aesthetics of the Race of Gentlemen true to the era of the cars and bikes racing. There were thousands of pictures taken by dozens of photographers and many of them can be seen online. I didn’t take too many as I was just enjoying being there. The location, the racing, the cars, the people, the music, the flag girl, ESPECIALLY the flag girl, were amazing. I left the beach about mid day and headed to the parking lot by the “Wildwoods” sign to check out the Customs by the Sea show. Then Saturday night the activity around the Starlux was pretty quiet since most people were down on the beach for a bonfire. I was too tired to walk that far again so, I called it a night.

    Sunday we were back on the road again following Gabe and Darlene back to Hershey. Then Monday we stashed the Staff Car in the woods somewhere in Pennsylvania for the winter. A cab got us to the airport and we each endured miserable flights aboard the crappiest airline in America back to our respective homes.

    It was a great trip. Lots of fun, lots of memories, lots of laughs. Lots of pictures too but, somehow they got all mixed up and I don’t have the time or energy to sort them out.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Wow Don,sounds like a great trip,except for the flights but all the rest sounds like fun. HRP
  3. 3wLarry
    Joined: Mar 11, 2005
    Posts: 12,804

    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

    hot damn
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. philly the greek
    Joined: Feb 15, 2009
    Posts: 1,864

    philly the greek
    from so . cal.

    Knowing that other guy , I'm sure you had a great time .

  5. Mike51Merc
    Joined: Dec 5, 2008
    Posts: 3,856


    "I woke up, then I went downtown----to look for a job, then I hung out in front of the drug store....."
  6. tevintage
    Joined: Mar 12, 2014
    Posts: 262


    Hi Don:
    Thanks for the great coverage of the events. Yours is always the most comprehensive. TEB

    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
  7. Tman
    Joined: Mar 2, 2001
    Posts: 34,497


    Thanks for the shots and write up once again Don!
  8. midnightrider78
    Joined: Oct 24, 2006
    Posts: 1,069


    Damn. You beat me to it. That was my first thought when I saw the title.
  9. jackandeuces
    Joined: Feb 20, 2006
    Posts: 1,004


    Don as usually great pictures , also good meeting you and now I have a face, and a roadster, that go with the shots....
  10. general gow
    Joined: Feb 5, 2003
    Posts: 6,288

    general gow
    Staff Member

    Great pics of both events. I gotta say I'm a little partial to that one of little yellow #76...

    Would've loved to meet you if I'd known you were there too.
  11. blackout
    Joined: Jul 29, 2007
    Posts: 1,269


    Thanks for bringing us along, Don. Outstanding pictures and cars. Question for anybody, why was that one area boarded up and near deserted? Hurricane Sandy?
  12. AHotRod
    Joined: Jul 27, 2001
    Posts: 11,406


    I truly enjoyed your story, .......... and the pictures are excellent.
    Thank you for sharing with us once again.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.