Register now to get rid of these ads!

How has the ressesion affected our hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Sep 19, 2011.

1. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The purpose of this thread is to bring up some of the problems we have faced durring this ressesion , and finding solutions so we can still enjoy our hobby and social life and keep it alive.

2. metalix_421

metalix_421

yes. it has affected my income so the car build is slower and the shows are almost non existent to me now SUCKS

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i agree i used to hit alot of shows , but even the small ones at a cost of 15 - 20 to get into i have been skipping to put the money into my truck and only went to 2 larger events ! i find myself selling alot of spare parts i normally would have hung onto for a possible future build just to have a little cash for materials on the current one ! seems like i find myself working alot of side jobs for money and leaving less time for my projects !

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whenever times get tight luxury items are always the first to go. The boating business is in the dumpster, and the car hobby has had a decline as well. People are going to eat and keep a roof over their heads first, then spend money that is left over on fun stuff.

The one good offsetting factor is that prices for project cars and used parts have dropped somewhat too. Cars that were $ 3000 when times were good are now not bringing half that, or not selling at all. People are more willing to deal on parts these days too, rather than sit on them.

But overall, we rodders still find creative ways to enjoy our hobby. We might be more selective on the events and cruises we go to, and plan our money out so that we can afford to do at least a few things now and then to our cars. We are also making a lot more parts as opposed to 1-800 ing an order, which is good in a lot of ways.

Don

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used to sell a lot of auto parts on eBay. No matter the price or condition they always sold. Lately I've listed several items, several times, some brand new in the box at giveaway prices and had no takers?????? At the recent NSRA Nats, I didn't see a lot of stuff selling either.

6. flamed34

flamed34

This isn't exactly a "good" thing.

I have a very solid '48 Chevy Fleetmaster I've listed here, on CL, and trailered a couple of times to swap meets. I still have it for what I would consider a very cheap price. As I have multiple projects already, I've run out of storage space.

Since people aren't coming up with cash, I'm starting to consider my options. I'm about at the point of pulling the fenders, splash aprons, hood, dash, heater, and steering column and crush out the near rust free body. Around here the body/frame/engine/trans/suspension will still probably scrap out at $300 bucks, I can fill the hulk with additional scrap in my way, and still have the parts. Ultimately, I'd probably make more this way then selling it whole.

Of course, even considering this option pains me....but I'm out of options. I'm tired of listing it. I'm tired of the additional gas bill towing it to swap meets. And I'm out of storage!

If I'm thinking this way, how many others are considering the same thing?

7. flamed34

flamed34

The recent Charlotte Auto Fair was pretty miserable as well.
    Gas, food, rent on vending spots, 1 blown tire on a borrowed trailer...and all I sold was $18 worth of parts.

It seemed no one was buying anywhere...and everyone commented on worst swap they had had.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I took a 12.5K/year pay cut from work do to the recession. I was making some headway on our medical bills prior to that but now it's quite a bit harder. I'm hoping to get my '35 done in the next few weeks and lay off building anything or buying for that matter for the next few years while I get my shit straight.

Adapt and overcome I guess.

9. mustangsix

mustangsix

For $300 I'd consider giving it away to another Hamber first. Or better, help cultivate the next generation of rodder by giving to a cash-strapped youngster. I've been doing that lately with a bunch of parts.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like it has hurt peoples ability to spell.

11. If we're going to pick on spelling, shouldn't it be "people's"? :)

Back to the topic...I have an off-topic car (68 Camaro) I can't really get rid of because the demand is pretty much gone.

I'd love to sell it - even at a loss - to get my hands on a HAMB friendly project (old Model A or a 32 Ford), but it doesn't seem worth the effort to try right now.

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Does that make you feel smarter 49ratfink? Maybe you should research the history of spelling. Our first president was known to spell his own name 75 different ways.

13. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Around here $400 cant even get a complete parts car. They get $400 rolling through the scale at the scrappers. I've seen a lot of interesting cars get squashed just to pay the morgage. Its quite sad. But during a depression you have to do what you can to survive. Hell it took me over a year to come up with $800 extra dollars to buy three IH pickups for parts. Few years ago I had that kind of money in my pocket weekend !

14. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I have noticed the attendence is way off at most of our local car shows and cruise nights.

15. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The recession has brought everything to an abrupt halt for me. No hobby spending, period.

17. I lost my job of 25 years , and I know im not alone ... Fucking sucks!

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its made it pretty dam sucky

19. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

I dont attend nearly the number of shows I used to......this year attendance is WAY down at all the shows around here... could be other factors, but Im guessing $ has alot to do with it.

20. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Didn't affect the ability for people to be Dicks either.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

One thing I've noticed is a lot more TRADING. I couldn't sell my '40 Tudor DeLuxe, or my '38 Ford Pickup, (Projects, no enging/trans, interior, or glass), but I did swap them for a nice running '41 Fordor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just joking around dickhead,,, get over it.

23. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Think we need to call the waabulance!

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no simple solutions during such a very rough time for so many. I too have cut way back on attending local shows, much less traveling to distant ones. Also, trying to sell stuff I thought I never would. But, local swap meet attendance numbers are down for buyers. stuff on craigslist, etc just sits there. even the freebie section on craigslist is very limited now. I did pretty good at the Billetproof swap but, had prices set low. slowly working on my chopped '51 Ford that when gets to a running condition will go up For Sale to pay bills. Oldest Son just lost his job. survival is the name of the game.

25. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

See! The recession has affected our sense of humor as well.

26. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i got this sister thats a bitch and whenever i call her out on being a bitch she always says "get over it" I think that its just an excuse to be a bitch again and not take accountability for her actions. When people call people out on spelling in an informal setting, their just showing that they dont have anything intelligent to say and feel insecure so they have to put down others. sad really.

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm having a harder time selling the Nash, but don't want to give it away.
    Job-wise, I'm doing OK.

28. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yah its bad here in san diego as well, you cant sell anything and most stuff for sale is overpriced.

29. silversink

silversink

eye hav two agrie

30. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I see a lot of trading going on. Also seeing people lowball on everything, thinking if the guy is hard up enough he'll take the ridiculously low bid. It's a buyers market out there.