Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How hard should the AC compressor be to spin by hand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Mar 30, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I dropped my 300 ENGINE for the '56! Actually I was using a 3 point stand, and bumped it with the riding mower and tipped it over back in the summer. The 3 point has since been converted to a 4 point........

The AC compressor took the brunt of the blow. It mangled the outer pulley. I pressed the bearing out of it and it stuck it back on the nose and checked it with the dial. It checked with a half of a thousandth.......

When I turn the compressor by hand, using the outer clutch, or my ratchet it is stiff but turnable, with a few points that are stickier than others through the rotation.

The shaft does not appear to be bent. I can't tell if it is in fact bent or if there is some corrosion. When I pulled the motor the system had been drained and it set quite some time empty.

Thanks for the input.

2. It may just be internal corrosion if the compressor was not sealed at the ports. Even tape is good enough, a there should have been slight residual oil layer on the metal surfaces.

Typically you can grip the clutch with your hand and turn the compressor, but it is not easy. You might try turning it more and see if it loosens up. Put a little oil in the intake port and turn until some oil might come out. Can't hurt, but make sure to flush the compressor of that oil before you assemble and charge it up.

Or leave it and just get a new compressor when you are ready for that later.

3. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Should turn fairly easy, and smoothly with no notchy or sticky spots. Probably has problems.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The older ones where hp robbing so I imagine it wouldn't be easy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I have to have one now for some fitment issues. Thats what I am trying to figure out if I should replace the whole thing, rebuild it myself and put a new clutch on it, or buy a used one.

What direction would you guys go?

I know most of the vehicles (ford) I have owned have never had any issues with the compressors, often get 200000 on them prior to any issues, and then it is just a new clutch.........

If I replace it what is a decent brand to go with that doesnt break the bank?

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

As far as turning it goes, I can turn it by hand fairly easy is is just stiff with a few spots harder than others. I would compare it to trying to turn the flywheel on a 3.5 horsepower briggs by hand........... Does that sound about normal?

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's a compressor. It's going to have a bit of a resistance feeling, and uneven as it compresses and releases.

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Being a retired A/C guy, consider this...if you bumped the clutch and jarred the shaft, you more than likely also cracked the shaft seal (ceramic) causing the shaft to now leak refrigerant. These seals can NOT be replaced. Also if run dry or without refrigerant with the proper amount/type of oil, you will burn up a seal. Usually the clutch will prevent this, but I've seen guys 'test' clutches and do lethal damage to their compressor. Use what you have for fitment, but when ready to hook it all back up have it checked by someone who knows what they're dealing with.