Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How hard do you work your old truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Jun 5, 2019.

1. ...got these free cement blocks at a building they were taking down, just unloaded from my 48
    cementb;ocks, Julies Virago, generator, etc.6-13 002.jpg

Truck64 likes this.
  2. I pull a goose neck with my OT 71 big block chevy 3/4. a Gooseneck with the hitch a bit foreward of the rear differential plants more weight in the front tires and is easier to maneuver in tight places because you can Jack Knife it and not damage anything. yep my gooseneck is also heavy and I have hauled 4 car bodys to the scrap man at a time on it. I use a 3/4 ton because in Arkansas there isn't a weight limit on a 3/4 ton truck. as long as you are not heavier than the rating on the sidewall of your tires you are legal.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. williebill

williebill

Oddjob carried a whole cubed Lincoln in one of those.

Kustom Komet and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone's concept of what an "old truck" is seems to be a lot different. My "new" truck is a 77 work horse.
    One reason the 48 needs a full from bare frame rebuild is that it did duty as my daily driver work truck for years in conditions 99% of the guys would never consider driving a Hamb era truck. It was all I had and it went to the dump, hauled scrap, hauled firewood hauled parts from the wrecking yard and even towed a car to the wrecking yard and went to the grocery store and Walmart. Then it got a bath and cleanup and a fresh coat of primer at least once a year and off to the car shows.

Landmule likes this.
  5. 327Eric

327Eric

My ElCamino has heavy duty rear springs and tie downs in the bed. I have used it to go to swap meets, and move,and haul a few things, The reality is, it has the cargo capacity of a wheelbarrow, and my 91 f250 does everything better, except turn heads. My 65 C10 will be capable, but will most likely get used lightly also.

6. Ive used more of those 60 thru 66 Chevy and GMC half tons that anything else. Ive got a 62 GMC that started out with a 305 V6 and a Muncie 318. The 318 Quit first and it got a 4 speed from a dump truck. then it got a 283. then a 3/4 ton Rear with 410 gears. then a 73 disk brake front suspension. One day I pulled up on the scales ar Shannon Salvage. The owner to me to back off and let hin reset. He stated you cant be that heavy. So we weighed it again. He stated your heavier than the bob trucks. I had almost a entire U Moline in it and some other stuff. My load weighed 9,000 pounds. However it bent the rear end housing angled the rear tires in at the top. It was a GMC however in 62 he GMC trucks had rear coil springs. In 63 and later for the most part have rear leaf springs. those coils will handle a good deal of weight.

7. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Loaded with about 35 bags of rubber mulch...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dusty-NZ and Lone Star Mopar like this.