Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How hard could it possibly be to drill a hole in a bucket,,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 24, 2019.

  1. And install a 1/2" valve?

    I've been all over town and can't find a decent tank fitting or bulkhead fitting Oh there's plenty if you're in Europe. And there's plent if you want to spend $200 or so on it with a 3" hole.

    How about a metal bucket that I can weld something too? 31 ga galvanized buckets slightly thicker than a beer can.

    Damn,all I want to do is drill a 3/4 hole in the side of bucket, install a 1/2" valve that doesn't leak at the sidewall (it can not leak) and meter how fast the liquid comes out of the bucket. How hard should that be?
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Paul
    Joined: Aug 29, 2002
    Posts: 15,025


    thrift store or garage sale stainless stock pot and weld a steel bung where you screw in your tap
  3. Dick Stevens
    Joined: Aug 7, 2012
    Posts: 2,922

    Dick Stevens

    Can it come out of the bottom of the hucket where it is flat and use an elbow and valve? That should make it a lot easier.
  4. 41rodderz
    Joined: Sep 27, 2010
    Posts: 5,199

    from Oregon

    Ahh the simple things in life . :D Murphy'slaw and all that. Does McMaster Carr have plastic valves in their catalog? State deicer tanks used a plastic valve.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.

  5. NashRodMan
    Joined: Jul 8, 2004
    Posts: 1,615


    Tractor Supply? Or McMaster Carr?
  6. 41rodderz
    Joined: Sep 27, 2010
    Posts: 5,199

    from Oregon

    How about a shut off valve like would be on your outside water spigot on the house ? Lowes , Home Depot have them.
    squirrel likes this.
  7. Try a restaurant supply Steve. Whether plastic for tea dispenser type or bronze/brass/stainless/galvanized for grease flow dumping. They should have a reasonable bulkhead valve for you.

    Hell, Grainger's is another .... from commercial to farm supply ... they have everything to outfit a Guatemalan Army .... but that's a story, for another day. Try Grainger's though. Huge place.
  8. 41rodderz
    Joined: Sep 27, 2010
    Posts: 5,199

    from Oregon

    water spigot on a nipple and braze it to the can ?
  9. Bear40
    Joined: Feb 17, 2007
    Posts: 20

    from Minnesota

    I did it once just to prove I'm smarter than a bucket, but it was a pain in the ass. I'm a stubborn machinist, so I made a couple of heavy washers, one flat on one side, concave on the other, and the other washer flat on one side, convex on the other. Made a couple round rubber gaskets and bolted the whole sandwich together tight through the hole in the bucket using the valve to draw it together. Took about half a day to get what I wanted, but I showed that bucket who's boss!
    gas pumper, Hombre, egads and 3 others like this.
  10. Nostrebor
    Joined: Jun 25, 2014
    Posts: 1,076


    They make special gaskets for this that Grainger sells, but for the life of me I can't remember...

    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Nostrebor
    Joined: Jun 25, 2014
    Posts: 1,076


    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Hnstray
    Joined: Aug 23, 2009
    Posts: 11,583

    from Quincy, IL

    Catch pans/basins for water heaters typically have a plastic nipple fitted to them for drain hose ...check your nearest big box store......
  13. noboD
    Joined: Jan 29, 2004
    Posts: 7,294


    When I was a kid we had a bucket with a tit out the side to feed calves. I would think you could find one at Tractor Supply or Agway.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. DDDenny
    Joined: Feb 6, 2015
    Posts: 13,783

    from oregon

    You had me at "with a tit out the side", hell, I'd buy two of them!
  15. Home Depot
    Tractor supply
    Rual king
    My local plumbing house
    All Three of my Auto supply guys

    Closest thing is the Hot water tank drain pan fitting but it's plastic and course thread. I used one and it leaks or if you really tighten the thing up it smushes the gasket and then pours out.

    The fitting needs to come off the side.

    I'm going to hit the scrap yard and see if I can find a small tank to make a bucket out of. Then I can weld a pipe coupling to it.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. squirrel
    Joined: Sep 23, 2004
    Posts: 46,870


    less than a minute of googling found a couple :)

    igloo.jpeg bucket.png
  17. Gregg Pellicer
    Joined: Aug 20, 2004
    Posts: 1,347

    Gregg Pellicer

    Just find a brass valve drill a hole and SOLDER it in. No washers no gaskets clean and simple
    alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Seriously ?? These won't work ? Bulkhead dump valves or bulkhead grease valves. Threaded for hose barb. Guess I misunderstand, maybe.

    Screenshot_20190124-133110_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133150_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133253_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133318_Google.jpg
    tb33anda3rd and rockable like this.
  19. Phillips
    Joined: Oct 26, 2010
    Posts: 1,291


    Tractor supply co., among others. EDIT I see I was about the fourth person to suggest this!
    juan motime and olscrounger like this.
  20. Blue One
    Joined: Feb 6, 2010
    Posts: 10,677

    Blue One
    from Alberta

  21. 1946caddy
    Joined: Dec 18, 2013
    Posts: 1,703

    from washington

    If you weld on the bucket, use a respirator.
    From OSHA;
    The typical effect of breathing zinc fumes is metal fume fever. One or two hours or more after welding-without proper personal protection-you may experience severe thirst, pain in the legs, shivering, congestion in the head, dryness and tickling of the throat, and a cough. In very bad cases, you may feel severe shivering, a high fever, buzzing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, and even hallucinations and convulsions. Your symptoms will usually last 24 hours.
  22. oldolds
    Joined: Oct 18, 2010
    Posts: 3,029


    Go to the oldest plumber in town. He will have what you need in his truck. He will even know what it is called to order another one
    clem and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  23. If I were in Australia, India Asia or Europe I'd do down to the local supply and ask for a "tank fitting" , I'd get one of these and I'd be happy- never bothering you guys because I'd be building my little bucket.
    IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG
    Hnstray likes this.
  24. Casey Riley
    Joined: Jun 27, 2018
    Posts: 465

    Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

    What you nee is a homebrewing bucket with spigot.
    alanp561 likes this.
  25. trollst
    Joined: Jan 27, 2012
    Posts: 1,783

    ALLIANCE MEMBER that some kind of highly technical term I don't understand? Geesh, you think with all the old car talk here I wouldn't get left behind......
    Texas Webb likes this.
  26. Happydaze
    Joined: Aug 21, 2009
    Posts: 988


    I hear ya, but in the UK you'll get some strange looks when asking about fasteners in anything other than metric crap in the local supply joint. Swings and roundabouts!

  27. Interchangeable with smoosh
  28. Rickybop
    Joined: May 23, 2008
    Posts: 6,617

    from Michigan

    When you went to Home Depot, did you check in the pool, pond and fountain supplies? Simple, inexpensive, plastic bulkheads. You can easily add a valve and other plumbing to it.
    Hnstray likes this.
  29. noboD
    Joined: Jan 29, 2004
    Posts: 7,294


    I can still smell the horribleness of the dried milk. No wonder they got the shits.
    Phillips, juan motime and olscrounger like this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.