Register now to get rid of these ads!

How far do you go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flyinsolo71, May 14, 2008.

1. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

I started pulling apart my Ford sedan to clean up the engine compartment and work on the body. As I start getting deeper into the dismantling I am finding more and more things that I would either like to do or should really do to make the car a decent driver. I know money plays a big role in any project but when do you guys draw the line on how deep you get into your project?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Every guy, and every car, are different.

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

that IS the question! how far to go???
    one thing turns into 5 more.
    just set a date you are going to be done & be done on that date & come out of the garage with the back tires smokin & dont bring it back in until the snow flies or ???

4. Frank

Frank

Someone on here best coined the term "creeping elegence" where you start out with some no-frills, low budget plans, but find yourself getting pickier and finding new things you want to do. Before you know it, your plans to achieve your vision surpass your abilities or budget and the project stalls...sometimes permanent.

I wasted several years not doing anything because I had this vision of what I wanted that was beyond my available tools, storage room, skills, and budget. I still have to check myself sometimes to decide just how far I want to take a particular idea. You have to ask yourself, How much lipstick do you want to put on the pig before you are tired of it and want something completely different...like a sheep. :D

5. I go all the way and tear everything completely apart. But then it takes me 4 or 5 years to put it all back together.

If you want to keep it as a driver in the meantime, don't get too far into it, just do what's necessary and at least make it safe to drive. Start with the brakes and replace shot components in the suspension. Add some seatbelts and good tires. When you get to the body, start repairing rusted out areas first. If it runs, don't mess with the engine until you're sure you've got the money to do it right.

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I make sure it is safe and reliable, beyond that is gravy.

7. Mostly depends just how deep your pockets are!!!!!!!

8. It depends on the car. My 41 Ford is a driver. It is a strait clean old car, but it would need a lot more than just a paint job to get it "restored" or whatever. So I did all the nessacary- brakes, fuel tank, rad, engine, trans, glass and redid the seats myself...in fact I did everything myself so the budget is not that much. The car rattles and clanks driving around town, but it does not fail me. I could spend a lot of $$$$ to "fix it up", but I would rather put that money into my 34 Ford, or 39 coupe, or whatever, and enjoy my 41 as-is. Pick and choose, my motto is you can only do so many cars.

[​IMG]

9. Over a long period, I have learned that I usually come out ahead when I strip everything down and start from a bare frame. The few times, like on my dodge, where I have tried to budget everything, I always end up going back and doing the things that I thought were okay. Once I have had a car a long time, it seems I end up going through every system in the car no matter what.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My first build took 3 years and money was no object as overtime was plentiful. On it's first outing, it got Best in Show. But always worrying about scratches and chips got old pretty quick. So after 6 years, I sold that car. Now I'm much happier with drivers. I just make sure that the car is mechanically sound and reliable.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Depends on the chick......

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Flyinsolo71,
    One of the guys that helped me (read that I helped him) build my truck always told me,
    1.)"Don't do any modifying that'll keep you from having your hot rod off of the road for more than a week;
    2.)Your brakes are the cheapest thing that'll save your life the most;
    3.)Plan your ride.Pick a build ideal and follow it-don't change every few months or you'll lose interest and money mid stream.
    Damn,if he wasn't right?
    One I added of my own,have a good circle of friends you can lean on for help and favors and be sure to reciprocate.

Good luck in your endeavors!

13. duke182

duke182

it really only depends on your pocket book and your willingness to wait to drive.

14. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

AMEN brother, that is some gooood advice!

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My 54F100 project was 100% dismantled. The frame sandblasted and POR'd and everything has been rebuilt and added back to the frame.
    I have the chassis done and now doing the bodywork.

jim h

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

First lesson a gearhead learns should be how to do quality work.

Second lesson a gearhead learns should be when to stop.

I know people that do amazing work, way higher quality than me. Their stuff is awesome but never complete and never driveable. You can see the envy in their eyes cause I drive cruise-night quality cars everywhere I go. But they're still only 80%-90% cars at best. The eternal build guys are building 100% cars.

If you're doing amazing work, and doing a lot of it, then you better be a rabbit on crack that trades shop time for sleep. Those guys are rare and often burnout in a decade. It's what makes the Gene Winfields of the world truly special.

Strike the balance that works for you. Everyone's is different. Have fun and good luck

(PS- if people are blinded by your car's coolness, they tend to look past minor flaws. Build smarter not harder)

17. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

So. are you going to have it ready for the hamb drags in August?

Hope to see it then.

18. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Tsquared my hope is to drive to our Pair A Dice cruiser car show August 9th, and then to the HAMB drags.
    I'll be appling filler and painting when I get back from visiting my oldest daughter at Fort Bragg NC in two weeks. (3500 mile road trip here )

jim h

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

My problem too, but I call it "perfectionism" because if I find something that needs to be done and don't do it, I'll know it's there and it will bug me til I fix it.

I'm putting the 53 back together and on the road now. I should have pulled the trim and given it a paint job, but am putting that off so it get's some road time.

I started to repair floorboards in the 55 wagon and now it is completely stripped on jack stands.

20. we have one ready for show and many in line .. none r pefect... but when we want to go some where we can ...drive,park and look around at the local shows and cruises...
    having a car that meets everyone elses high standards is just not possible with out a huge budget

i suppose that if we narrowed our focus and budget on one car it would be close to perfect ... but that would take the immediate fun factor out of the whole "sport"

21. I would say most go at least this far,,,HRP

[​IMG]

22. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Creeping elegance...i LIKE that.

The truck i'm doing now started as, pull the motor, reseal it. Spray bomb the inner fenders & call it good.

It now sits, front clip off, engine out, everything has been media blasted, ready for paint.

The cab comes off next weekend

Sometimes i hate myself, but the results are undeniable. the problem is knowing when to stop.

"Hi, my name is Mike...and i AM a projectaholic"
    sheesh.....:D