Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How far do we drive our cars for an event?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Almostdone, Aug 29, 2021.

?
  1. Less than 10 miles

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. 10-30 miles

20 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 30-90 miles

47 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. 90-270 miles

59 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. More than 270 miles

151 vote(s)
    53.9%
  1. beatcad

beatcad

i dont go to many car shows like i used to.
    miles i dont know but the farthest was 4 1/2 to 5 hours away. North Carolina a couple times and New Jersey a couple times..

Almostdone and Lil32 like this.
  2. hudson48

hudson48

In 2018 I wanted to go to the stray Kat 500 in Dewey OK as well as Santa Maria and lots in between.
    So I shipped the car from Brisbane Australia to San Francisco and travelled east, then north to Detroit and then back to CA for Santa Maria. Over 6000 miles plus the trip on the water. Did lots of places on these travels.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    R A Wrench, pprather, Jrs50 and 5 others like this.
  3. Yep, I remember seeing you and the car in Dewey. That was an amazing trip.

pprather and Lil32 like this.
  4. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I did 1200 each way to Bowling Green this year. Was nice to get some miles behind the wheel it had been a while since I have done it.

Hamtown Al and Lil32 like this.
  5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Squirrel, does that mean we will see you at Nats North or do you have other plans in the area?

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'm going to Drag Week, at US131. Plan to arrive to the area Saturday night, and be at the strip Sunday for registration. I think it's free to get in that day. Racing is Monday (and again Friday), it costs $20 to get in for the racing.

RMR&C likes this.
  7. "How far do we drive our cars for an event?"

Totally depends on how far away from the garage my trailer is parked :D

Just kidding, the only trailer I own goes behind the car not under it :)

Lil32 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

1000 mile to the Lone Star roundup
    1200 mile to bowling green hot rod reunion

Lil32 likes this.
  9. That's the difference in living in CT and living in West Texas. In highschool we used to drive 110 miles round trip to get a pizza and watch a movie.
    When the kids were learning how to ride motorcycles (I have twins) we would leave heading south out of town, make a loop, come in from the west, ride over a hundred miles, never left the county and never rode into another town.

Lil32 likes this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I live in the only trailer I own...

Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  11. Drove my 39 in my avatar from Concord NC to Wendover Utah/Nevada and back, for speedweek. right at 5000 miles round trip in 3 weeks. My 39 is still getting all fine tuned for daily transportation, but will be done soon. I put about 55,000 miles on my 51 Chevy in the 4 or 5 years I owned that one. I drive the wheels off of my cars.

R A Wrench, Stogy, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In our early days, we thought nothing of driving 1000s of miles from our So Cal house to San Francisco and the Bay Area for a photo shoot vacation. It started in 1967 and continued on until we changed our lifestyle. We always planned a short or long vacation with our photo shoots to make it fun and exciting.

It was never considered a job as we moved from one location to the next. Car shows, San Francisco central, hot rod runs and individual photo shoots, it was all over the place. There was always a nice hotel/motel room and a great dinner for the two of us, when finished for the day, traveling or shooting photographs.

upload_2021-10-7_4-35-21.png
    One thing in our favor was that we were 20 somethings and the whole world was getting to the point of changing. So, we got involved and the road trips took us up north to the Bay Area, and South to Baja Mexico. Throw in the inland Highway 395, the mountains/deserts and we went everywhere to get to our destination. Rain, shine, fog, hail, wind and great views wherever we went. It was all a part of our final college and post college years.

As we still liked to travel, our mode of transportation changed, but the routes will forever remain the same. It always brightens our spirits by seeing the ocean as we drive up or down the coast. It is one of those things that is built in to our psyche to improve our spirits.

The warm sun, the blue ocean and empty highways always brings a smile to our faces in between our conversations. Do we ever get tired of talking to each other? After 55 years of courtship and a solid relationship, nothing changes. Listening is the key to solidify any relationship, at any time or place.
    upload_2021-10-7_4-36-23.png

Jnaki

These pre-pandemic days, we thought nothing of driving the same route, expanding it to a full blown week long vacation. But, since then, it is the local So Cal spots that make us revive our spirits. These short day trips take up what most will get going to help end this lockdown and variant spread. Otherwise, it will go on forever. YRMV

12 YEARS AND 125K MILES 1964 TO 1976 in our 65 El Camino was the primary business/vacation mode of transportation. Add in 1000+ miles in the 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and it was a fun experience.

It was a fun thing that as a couple of 20 somethings, we infused into a vacation, photo shoots with different places every time we hit the road. It did not have to be a big event, but a friend calls and says a new build is happening… off we go to capture the moments. These are great memories and shall forever remain in our memories.

But, for the past years, up until 2020, we had shorter versions of just a simple break from our families, neighbors, and location to seek a different outlook for us. Road trips are a part of our early lives for surf adventures, family vacations, leading to an extended 50 year activity for the two of us as long as we can continue.

i.rant, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  13. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Sept 2020 attended the 1940 ford Midwest 80 yr birthday gathering that Brett put on, 1st time and longest trip I ever made in the oldest car I've ever owned . Dundalk Md. to Springfield Mo, great time prayed the whole way, perfect trip .Did roughly 2200 miles round trip in 6 days . Would have done it again last month but the 40 developed a never before vibration and haven't resolved it yet. 8ba 3 on the tree 354 gears .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    i.rant, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wife and I just drove the '39 Chev coupe to a car show 100 miles away. A white knuckled drive there in the morning on a winding, foggy road in the dark! But coming home on the same road made up for the scary trip up!

Hamtown Al, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  15. phat rat

phat rat

I combined two shows into one trip. Michigan to NSRA Sacramento Ca. from there to NSRA Tampa then home. The trip was 8,000 mi in 4 wks'
    Longest one day run with the cpe was just over 1150 mi. from my sons place in Jacksonville Fl. to home. I made that run 3 different times

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It largely depends on the event and the time of the year. For big events I'm happy to travel. For smaller shows, I'm not willing to drive quite as far.

I go to the Detroit Autorama every year from NJ, which is about 600 miles, but I'm in a late model truck and possibly towing a classic if I'm exhibiting. Not that I wouldn't make the drive in a classic, just not through the inevitable snow squalls I hit every year.

I drove to the CCR this year in my '56 Olds, which was about 700 miles each way, and had a blast doing it. Even TROG in NJ was 350 miles round trip. The hardest part about going on these long-haul drives is less the problem with the cars, and more with getting that much time off of work.

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  17. I think my longest in the ‘40 convert was from home to Louisville, then to Bonneville, then up into Idaho and Montana and then back home. Three weeks and around 5000 miles. Added a quart of oil once and packed the front wheel bearings one morning in a Walmart lot in Butte, MT. I towed a Mullins trailer and my pal towed a pop-up camper with his ‘34 Ford coupe. It was an epic trip…and I might have another one left in me, who knows?

R A Wrench and Bigmac48 like this.
  18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My longest, in my chopped 55 Olds was around 1700 miles one way. Probably longer. NJ to James Dean run in Indiana, then on to Conroe TX, for my GF to visit family. I put over 160,000 miles on her before retiring her. 55_Olds 005 (2).jpg

19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Power tour 2016 I did 3k Miles in 10 days... The last was the trip home from Kansas city. 750 Miles roughly straight through in one day... Truck cab got real small real quick that day...

Ive done many 1k mile weekends over the year... Now after a few health issues, I get her on a few trips a year about 100 to 200 miles each way... There is a tour coming up next year down here that should be about 1k miles in 3 days... So looking forward to that...
    IMG_0891.JPG

trollst likes this.
  20. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

In my 34 we have been to Seattle and Delaware. Also have done a Hot rod Power Tour. It has 76K on it. the 49 F1 has been to louisville three time. the F1 gets more miles lately, as it is roomier and a smoother ride. We don't do many long runs but will do 100 and more for nearby shows.