Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How exactly does this part go???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spacecowboy81, Jun 15, 2019.

1. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

I'm re-assembling my '57 371 Olds and so far there is just one part I'm not clear on and I can't find a diagram either, I checked, Motors manual, Oldsmobile Service manual, and google. This large washer with the key slot, does it just slide on the crank shaft before installing the water pump? Or after the water pump and before the pulley? If anyone knows or a picture of your engine would be helpful!!
    20190615_111414.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is an oil slinger. it goes on the crank before you put on the timing cover. cupped side facing out

3. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a shim for the dampner... Put that on the crank snout before you bolt on the timing cover.... Hope I'm right!!!!

4. BJR

BJR

What Moriarity said.

uncle buck, Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oil slinger. It goes on offset away from the chain.

It keeps oil away from the back side of the seal, so it is not flooded, under braking. Bonus here, it flings oil on to the chain and sprockets.

Most engines have a similar structure integrated into the tail end of the crankshaft, for the same reason.

Black_Sheep, Mr48chev and Deuces like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Winner winner Chicken Dinner ! Oil Slinger , with modern style seals it’s not really needed . Be sure to apply some RTV to the crank before installing the balancer to prevent leaks also .

Deuces likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Huh? I've never heard of doing this? Is this really a thing? Oil really makes it past the super tight joint of the balancer to the crank gear, up the snout inside that tight tolerance, and leaks out around the end of the snout and the balancer bolt/washer?

Hnstray and Moriarity like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

RTV in the crankshaft damper keyway, specifically. If it's all the same I always do stuff like this figuring they wrote the book, they designed it, they oughtta know.

Deuces likes this.
  9. spacecowboy81

spacecowboy81

Thanks for everyone that chimed in!

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Slingers can work very well! I had a late type flathead with a totally failed seal in one water pump. If I filled up the radiator with engine off, I could immediately hear a stream of water hitting the floor, and the radiator would be empty in about two minutes. If the engine was running, there was no apparent leak and I could drive the car until I shut it off. I was 18 and broke, so I handled the problem with a couple of jerry cans in the back seat for a while...

Jet96 and Rex_A_Lott like this.