Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How does the column lock work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,

I’m sure it’s the same from 32-48 but I’m lookong at a 38 ford pickup colum/ column drop/support and I’m trying to figure out how exactly the lock works.

The on and off switch I figure is turning the car on, the push button starts the car, and the key locks the column. That’s what I’ve alwaus thought anyhow.

When doing searches I find people in locking now the colum by drilling out the set pin that holds the key/lock cylinder in place and sliding the cylinder out, but I’m not seeing any photos of how it actualy works.

I want to see the inside bits.

Anyone have photos or an explanation?

This is as close as I can get and it’s doesnt actually show what I’m looking for
    9CDDEEBA-54FB-478F-BA7B-455C1A39E67F.gif Thanks in advance

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3. The key cylinder pin is offset and the slide has a hole in it. The column has a hole and the slide has a pin on the end....turn the key and everything slides. The switch arm goes around the slide and out the housing into the electric part of the ignition switch, that way when the slide is at one end the switch won’t work.

That's how my '47 car is setup.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Tim and olscrounger like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lock has a pawl or pin that catches in the grooves of the collar shown as 3592 Turning the key pushes the pin out or pulls it back. I should have read the link you posted before posting LOL.

5. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I just had one of these apart and back together yesterday. I've got another one that I'll happily take apart and take pics of though if you want to see more than that article. It's not really the column that gets locked, it's the electrical contacts.

Mike

Tim likes this.

6. Both the column and switch get locked. The steering will lock and you cannot turn the ignition on.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  8. Thats it exactly 39 guy! Was about to post pics - but yours were clearer.

Dave

The 39 guy likes this.
  9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Really? I must have missed the spot on the shaft that gets locked out then. From what I assumed, it didn't look like there was enough travel in the lock mechanism to reach the shaft itself to lock it. I'll have to go look at it again.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks guys I’ll go threw those links when I get a minute. This won’t turn at all and the switch won’t move either.

I wanted to actually I’d erstand what was going on before I started dicking with it and broke something trying to free it up.

Any and all photos and links are appreciated

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just owner's manual type stuff: Key moves the shaft. With key off, steering either is locked or will lock when you turn the steering wheel...when wheel goes to straight or to positions on either side of straight the locking pin drops into notched sleeve on steering and car is inop. Same shaft blocks/unblocks the on-off switch lever. Key cannot be removed unless switch is off and key turned to locked position. There are a LOT of versions of this '32-48, with plenty of truck variants along with passenger, and they all work about the same no matter how the bits are arrayed. There are even some with remote cable in Lincolns. Cleaning, de-rusting, and oiling are most of the job usually.
    '32-35 or 6 use a small pin, about 1/8, '36 up a considerably bigger one. Lock cylinders (original) are getting scarce, but most likely yours can be cleaned up and fitted with a new key by a decent locksmith.

rodncustomdreams and Tim like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Bruce Lancaster thank you! All the photos and diagrams the internet could offer me didn’t give me the information you just gave me.

I knew what I was asking was super specific and would need to be answered in a pretty specific way for me to understand it. You hit the nail on the head. Thank you :)

Follow up question. When people say they have un locked the column by removing/ drilling out the set pin/screw and pulling the lock cylinder out, does the shaft come with or do they manually manipulate the shaft to rotate out of the slots?

Thanks again, happy to see you posting again :)

13. On my '47 (and '36), the pin gets pulled out, the key cylinder comes out, but everything else stays inside the housing.....you just manually move the slide with a pocket screwdriver.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    fivefour likes this.