Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How does one remove the gas tank from a model a sedan ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Dec 21, 2013.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

What's the best safest way to remove the gas tank from my model a? Are there smooth cowls you can get cause I'd just as soon remove mine and put it up for trading material than destroy a absolutely perfect cowl.

2. Big Ayers

Big Ayers

m&s rodz likes this.
  3. captmullette

captmullette

nope, cut it off with a 4 in grinder, sell the whole thing and find one already cut off.....

4. chubbie

chubbie

nice to know what year, only the 28-29 isn't smooth, unless the '29 is a 4 door murray body. There are 1/4" bolts w/ a keeper underneath the cowl sometimes they turn loose, sometimes i tightn them up to snap them

5. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Its a 28

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

By smooth I ment one with out a gas filler neck on the top mine looks like it basicly bolts in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Those seem to be what I want the idea of a tank of gas above my feet behind a hot engine scares the crap out of me. Question is what is my good stock tank/cowl worth in the real world

8. I have bought rough ones for $50-100, cowl good, tank bad. I would have to say $150-200? for yours? $250 would get you most of the way to a new cowl top.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd really like to see a show of hands from those that got burnt with a Model A gas tank. Do 1950's pickups with the tanks behind the seat bother people? :confused: The screws on top of the tank by the cowl lacing are the ones that give the most trouble. Just sold a 28-29 tank for $100.00 with rust ratteling around inside, but the outside looked good. Bob