Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do YOU work a cross country car trade?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Apr 19, 2010.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

got a friend thats trading a car with a guy in california, and i might be trading mine soon, so i just thought i would ask how you guys handle it ?

he had friends look at the car in CA, the CA's guys friends have checked out the car he has here, so no surprises..

but, how do you handle the title swap? the transport? does someone send their car first?

driving the cars back and forth isnt an option, niether is meeting half way (lets face facts, for a 30+ hours drive to cali gas costs, hotel costs, etc vs. a $800-900 transport bill we all know which one we would rather deal with)..

insight would be GREATLY appreciated.. i guess we are more concerned with title swap and all ya know?

2. Depends on what you agree to. I've traded all three ways -

Me bringing the trade to the other guy, with us splitting the costs;

Him bringing me the trade, with us splitting the costs;

Meeting halfway and we cover our own costs.

I've done this on vehicles I've traded for in North Dakota, Colorado, Texas, and other parts of the country. Of course, I have a Diesel one-ton pickup with a 19' open car hauler, so I have the proper equipment to do the task at hand.

In all circumstances, we look at each others' vehicles and determine if we want to go with the trade or not. I've not had an instance where the trade did not occur. Had a trade not occurred, we would've still split the transpostation costs, as agreed-to up-front. I've always found it easier to simply make the appropriate arrangements with whom I'm trading with, versus hiring a hauler. You have the proper papers in your hands, no matter what, and don't have to worry about transportation delays and so on.

What's wrong with making a mini-vacation out of the deal???

3. Amen, brother!

Road trip!!! That's the way I like to do it!:D

I understand that you don't necessarily want to make a road trip out of it, but title transactions seem to go A LOT smoother in person.:cool:

My $.02

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

well there is no real option for making the trip due to a lack of proper truck, and due to work schedules and lack of time off from my employer, if i do a trade i cant really get off work.. he is in a similar boat i believe with time off, but doesnt want to go either way..

if we had a nice truck setup, this might be a different story .. that being said ive driven to CA before and it was HELL... sorry, but it was.. most boring road trip ive ever had

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

6. Why not hire BenD or another HAMB transporter to schedule the trip (with other loads) drops yours off and brings the new one back? Split the cost, one reliable transporter hands over the titles, etc...

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Exactly what Verbal Kint said,hire hauler to deliver one and return with other,how hard can that be,both parties pay same amount and have what they want and hauler stays busy.

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you need to find a neutral person to receive both of the titles and then forward once both are received. or send them both via certified mail so they are tracked and shown to be signed for. once that is done, then ship the cars. easier to fix paperwork then recover a car from that distance.

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

this is true.. i just dont know if its possible.. ive used BenD before, GREAT guy

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If you can get someone to trade sight-unseen, good for you. But if you aren't going to look at the other car in person, bad idea.................

11. escrow.
    use an escrow company to hold all the paperwork and money until all agreements are met.

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

we have good friends there and he has family here.. so it works out on both ends

13. off topic, but the car in your avatar is rad..I love bagged convertibles

14. How did this story end. I'm thinking of doing the same. I live in NY and what I'm looking for is in either Texas or CA.