Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you treat small rust pits on sheet metal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j_johnson, Jul 21, 2012.

1. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I stripped a section of surface rust and old paint off a trunk, there is still some small surface imperfections and rust pits. I stripped it with 80 grit which removed most of it. They are really small can't be felt with hand. What are the preferred methods to repair?

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Spot blast them. Everything else outside of dipping is just a topical repair and doesn't remove the rust. I would only feel good if it was absolutely gone.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As JJ said, blast them. You cannot get down in the pit with a sanding disc. Once you've blasted it out to gray metal, put some 2k primer on them. From there, you can apply your body filler or whatever and proceed with your body work.

4. kracker36

kracker36

A small wire brush may help somewhat. The 2k primer works well as stated above, but I like to use etching primer first and then top coat it with epoxy primer and then the 2k system.

weps likes this.

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

These things are awesome:
    [​IMG]

I use one for a grinder though. I've been using them to strip the roof on my panel truck, and it was pitted to hell. Everything is cleaning up fine so far. I can post a pic of what I've got so far if you're interested

6. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

if he's not, i am. i'll be in his boat, most likely, before too long.

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Here are a couple of pictures.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Zoomed out:
    [​IMG]

8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I also tried the vinegar experiment. Some results were good, others were bad. Here's one of the good ones:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

9. This man speaks the truth!

10. Jeremy Morrison

Jeremy Morrison

I am interested in what this is, the picture does not load.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. metalman

metalman

I had some fairly deep pits in some areas on a 39 I built. I'm very anti sandblasting on sheet metal so after sanding to bare we coated the pits with SEM's Rustmort. After it dried wiped it down per the instructions, sanded it again to remove the Rustmort from everything except the pits then followed with DP40 and polyester primer. Had to go back and fill deeper pits with some with glazing putty. 3 years later nothing at all is showing up in the paint.
    I'm sure maybe not the proper way to do it but I had used Rustmort in the past on interior panels, jams and such in the past, have had good success with it. Does seem to do a good job of converting rust to stop it.

Jeremy Morrison likes this.