Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jul 30, 2008.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

At home, we have a fancy monitored alarm system, sensors on every door and window, siren outside, signs all over the property....

Wait, the signs! What really keeps a thief away? The alarm that MIGHT go off, or a SIGN that says one WILL go off?

2. kingpins

kingpins

alot of great answers on here but the truth is. if they want it bad enough they will get it. dogs, alarms, what ever contraptions you rig up is not going to work. most likely they will have a flatbed or trailer with a massive winch on it that will just drag your shit even if its bagged on the ground. cars are the easiest thing to steal no matter what you do. your best defence is to keep it in a lock garage and unseen.how do i know? i had a bad past that i regret and wish i could take back. but cars were a reg thing. it dont matter what kinda alarm they had or how bad of a dog they had we had a solution for it all if your car was worth risking it over. and 9 times out of ten it was. dogs were the easiest thing to get by. i know some of the responses here say there dog but its not. the best rule of thumb is to use common sense when driving or parking your car. well lit areas and as near to the front door as you can where alot of foot traffic is. your car will not get stolen under any means if there are alot of people around. its way to risky and bold.

3. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

My fuel pump switck is a wiper switch, and marked as a wiper switch. Not going far with the fuel pump shut off.

4. big bad john

big bad john

....Lots of insurance...a kill switch and battery cutoff......

5. Eight433

Eight433

I live in a quiet little farm town. Occasionally we hear about some petty theft, but I've never heard of someone having a car stolen out of a locked garage. Plus, my car is not all that valuable. but just in case, I have recently installed a new security system. I bagged it! Now, when laid out, the front tires hit the fender wells- That's almost as good as a parking brake. AND, it's too damn low to get a jack under it. I suppose I could take the switch box with me, and nobody would have a chance in hell at moving it before being noticed. I'm sure you COULD drag it up a roll back, but it would be a pretty loud and obvious action with all the scraping and dragging it would do, crushing the tail pipes and what not. Besides, The car is insured. I'm more concerned with the 10's of thousands of dollars in tools! (Me and my Dad have both worked as professional mechanics and have several large, overflowing tool boxes between the two of us) Tell an insurance company that someone stole your toolbox and see how much they pay you without receipts for every single tool. I'd be pissed to have a Cornwell box full of Matco and Snap-on tools to be replaced with a home-grade craftsman and china tools :(

6. gmt830

gmt830
    from Houston

This is a company I heard about a while back the product does GPS tracking it allows you to set up notification for distance speed and what not if any of the conditions you specified are violated it notifies you via telephone or email. You can track the vehicle from any computer. Don't know what it cost or if it ever got off the ground. Its primary use is commercial asset management but they have an application for car owners. It was described to me for use to track your teenage driver a car you hold a note on or in case of theft. I didn't invest and only know about it casually

http://www.lunareye.com/products/automotive.htm

7. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Ive got one of those Brainiac Kids (stepson) were working on a computerbased system for security (home video) and Auto tracking system.That you can watch your home and cars from any PC,.I hope we can make a go of it..
    if we are successful at it..we aint gonna rip off everyone for it either.

I just gotta find a way to motivate an 18 year old boy:eek:

maybe if this ever gets off the ground we can provide a HAMB discount[/QUOTE]

Just put tits on it haha

8. Yup, you could smear it with 5" of steaming dog shit and someone would boost a pumper truck to hose it off. And everyone thinks a dog is the best thing in the world to deter theft, they can be compromised very easily.

Bob

9. Eight433

Eight433

Dogs ARE great anti theft devices, but not because of their bite. they are one of the most sensitive alarms you can invest in. of course, you must train the alarm as to when is an appropriate time to go off. This is where most people fail.

10. ClimisCD

ClimisCD

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I gotta do something to discourage the amateurs like the brake pedal lock/kill switch/alarm. Otherwise its way too easy to hotwire the dumb thing.

Anybody serious will have a tow truck, and I have no doubt they'll drag it onto a flatbed one way or the other. Gojacks come to mind.

That's why I think my best shot is the alarm that signals the pager when it goes off.

If I catch a thief in the act maybe I can at least wave goodbye to my car since no way in hell I'm going to jail for shooting him here in commiefornia. ;-)

12. pitman

pitman

Seems the mercury switch (when jostled) that connects the relay to make the cell phone call would be a good measure.

13. Eight433

Eight433

Oh yea, forgot about my other theft deterrent... park next to a nicer car! The thief won't look twice at yours! Works for scooters too ;)

14. I just make sure mine stays broke down in the garage, no one will steal it that way.

15. sun down

sun down
    from tx

I think it would be neat to put some juice on it like
    an electric fence used to keep cows in a pasture, just enough juice to get their attention when the vehicle is being touched.. other then that just have Ins, agree with the rest, if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

had a bumper sticker once that read, answer my prayer, steal this truck lol

16. pitman

pitman

One traditional method was to attach the ign. coil wire to a seat coil and the ground wire to the steering wheel spokes.

17. shocker998md

shocker998md

I didnt read through every page, but if people want it bad enough they will tow it. Over in the buick world ( grand nationals and turbo ts) they get stolen ALOT. Low jacks and insurance are the only good ways to deal with it.

kill switches and locks keep honest theives out...

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Long range scope, and 180 grain FMJ...thats if im over 100 yards away.
    up close its more personal:D:p