Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 402

Lojack isn't perfect. Once you figure out where the receiver is, you rip it out.

As for pulling the coil wire, all you then have to do is use one of the spark plug wires and run off one fewer cylinder while you steal it away.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lojack unit does not do anything until it is activated. If you don't know it is there, it is simply out of site out of mind. Lojack is still the best option until the GPS thing gets completely worked out

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You need a hidden kill switch that isn't UNDER YOUR DASH ! A battery kill switch is a good back up too !

One of the best things is a big damn mean ass dog . Then when the asshole tries to give the dog something to eat to get him away from your ride , all of a sudden the dogs starts chewing the hell out of the asshole and then when you are ready to give that special command for the dog to stop......... then for some damn reason you forgot what it was ! Works for me !

RetroJim

4. I run an electric fuel pump on all of my rides, so i install two kill switchs, one on the main feed to the coil and the other on the power going to the fuel pump. I put these in places as far up and forward under the dash as possible so that i can bearly reach them and i know where there at.I also put a shield around them and the switch facing the firewall and are painted flat black. These have prevented me from stealing my rod many times, usually forget to flip the switch on the fuel pump and look like an ass when the car dies 100 yards down the road.You know you did it right when you can tell your buddies where the switches are and they still can't find them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. I had two cars in long-term storage (three years) a while back. I had eleven different means of theft deterrence/prevention - eight each on the cars and three on the garage - and apparently, they all worked, because my cars were right where I parked them three years prior, and in exactly the same condition; i.e. no one tried to break into the garage!

I had a checklist for both cars so that I would remember what I had done to store and protect them in the first place!

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

kill switch,hidden from any fucker trying to jack my ride and the toothy smile of a pitbull in the front seat.

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, it's simple; I don't worry either, since the odds are they'll pick a deuce or somthin'. I just tune it to where it won't start without choke, (manual) and will flood if the choke is pulled out all the way out. Then set the clutch where it takes some 'learnin' to shift it. Whilst they're making noise tryin', I'll be there with my 12 gauge and .44

If they do get it out of the driveway, they are in for some trouble, the cooling fan switch is hidden, I always turn it off at shutdown. Wit it off it'll overheat and that will trigger the heat switch/relay and kill the ignition.

Of course, with mine, they'll not be apt to try anyhow, they are too easily recognized, even with new paint. Parting them out would be a waste of time since they are built cheap.

If I had a 'chainer's ride, I wouldn't care anyhow, would have it over-insured, with agreed value, actually hoping for it to go missing:D

The more I think about it, the more I realize why my Jalopies are so much fun for me. I can't imagine wringing my hands if one of them was ripped off. I would simply build another one.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

9. hotrodder3

hotrodder3
    from maine

hook up a joke store smoke bomb under the dash--when they see smoke --they run another way is to tape a aresol air horn to your frame & run a string so the tire runs over it when moved

10. hotrodder3

hotrodder3
    from maine

air horn goes off & they run

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

6 volt coil ,metal shift knob. Vinyl seat covers.

12. Ebert

Ebert

I guess I am with those that believe that "if they want it, they will get it." I have a hiiden cutoff, etc, but like others on here, I have a BIG damn baseball bat that I keep near me and HOPE like hell that I am around....call me an old school shit....because I AM!

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

McGard sells locking bolts like their wheel locks. These were popular 30 years ago when 4 speed thefts were common. I'm planning to buy some or the allen heads with the raised pin centers for the supercharger and intake.

14. panic

panic

Use a different set of plates, and give a different address when you have an alarm installed by a shop.
    The kid they just hired will only be there until he has the keys and codes to enough nice cars.
    But, won't he go to jail? Of course, the cops always check for recently terminated employees, and scumbag friends of current female employees.
    But he'll get your car first.

15. mikyboy

mikyboy

Good tip.

16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I had a kill switch that I could switch while putting the car in park, also had the srew out of the center of it and took the handle with me. Left a funky looking stub.... almost undetcectable. Thinking of adding brake line lock as someone else mentioned.

17. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Removable steering wheel

18. I didnt read the whole thread but did anyone mention a removable steering wheel?

19. I was one second too late.:eek:

20. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

21. HALFAST

HALFAST

I leave an empty holster from my s&w 44 magnum on the dash or floor !

22. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

I let the tires go flat and the blackberry bushes grow over the whole mess. Can't steal what ya can't see.

23. Tommy454

Tommy454

I roll the window down an inch leave the doors unlocked and attach the keys to the Rottweiler's collar:eek:

24. I have theft deterent paint... and bodywork

If you have a locking column, park between two other cars and crank the wheel all the way over to one side... the value of their new prize goes down whith a dented fender.

Here in FL, since the weather stays fairly nice all year long, a lot of shops have lifts that are just under carports, not enclosed. I notice that they will leave a car on them at night, all the way up, and remove all 4 wheels... I imagine that removing just one wheel might be enough for somebody to pass on your car.

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

If they want it they will get it ....insure the hell out of it

26. peter johnson

peter johnson

Shotgun between front seats and a cable from trigger to clutch pedal,but dont forget it!!!

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

locks onthe shop..and neighbors with guns and cell phones

28. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

when the 61 Catalina isn't in the garage little kitty watches over it

[​IMG]

29. 5 kill switches, really? I didn't know there was that much demand among thieves for an 80 Cutlass!!??:rolleyes:;):)

[​IMG]

30. toddc

toddc

OUCH:eek: