Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jul 30, 2008.

1. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

We do the heat seal for the packaging of this Zoombak product. www.zoombak.com
    I don't know much about them yet.

I also found this one yesterday, I like that it looks like you don't have to buy a service plan unless you need it. http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproducts/smarttrack.html

Both use T-mobile cell which in a lot of places is spotty at best, however. So basically they are the same just different plans it seems.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have a 6ft plastic coated 1/2" stainless aircraft security cable and krytonite lock. I have welded a loop on the brake pedal. It goes through the loop on the pedal, around the column and through the steering wheel with the big ass lock right on top.

I found out how hard it is to remove these first hand when I lost the key to the last one. Bolt cutters won't even make a dent on the lock or the cable. They both laugh at a torch. Sawzall with metal blades - fuggetaboutit. The only thing that would cut it off was a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. It used up the entire wheel and about 5 very noisy minutes.

It would be easier to cut the pedal off or the steering wheel off, but then how would you drive it? The only way they could steal the entire car is to tow it.

3. 55olds88

55olds88

I just lock the Olds and sometimes hit the battery disconnect, I figure with the hydro's lack of P for park most folks couldn't figure how to start anyway and if they want it that bad its well insured....... and pretty hard to hide when there are only 3 in the country.

4. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I had a thought:confused:

There has to be a way of hooking up some type of device that would lock the brakes similar to line-lock used at the track

That would keep the car from going anywhere

Gary

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I plan to lay frame. best parking brake ever.

6. nsh57

nsh57

Another option is to keep your car looking so ugly that nobody else would ever want it.

7. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Man, around here nobody could care less about my car. It didn't cost $5000000000, doesn't have 22's or a body kit, so nobody sees it. The only looks I get are from soccer moms scowling at me cause their kids think it's cool.

8. donzzilla

donzzilla

Don't talk to anyone about your security system. Eevn if you don't have one. My older sister's second husband was a professional theif. He would take anything that wan't tied down to sell for money.

99% of the times to get normal daily drivers, they would sit in front of a 7-11 and wait for someone to run in. They could usually tell the ones that left the keys in the ignition. Jump in and take it. He always said. We won't spend too much time trying to get anything. It has to be easy and fast.

This didn't apply to the guy sitting at the bar, bragging about how smart he was and that no one was going to get his stuff. They made their job easy as possible, but still wouldn't back down to a challange.

One of my fav's was a story he told of a guy in a bar. Telling about how his 54 Vette was impossible to steal. He then in detail told of all the tricks to prevent this. I have a 100 decible bell with a flashing light above my garage that goes off the second they open the door. The whole neighborhood will hear that. Then I chain it to the floor. I hide the cutting torch's in the shed out back, so they can't use my oxy accetline to cut the chains. I have a 10' stone driveway that makes nooise when the tires roll over them or someone walks on them. I hear that immediately. I take the ciol wire out and lock it in the tool box. Yadda, yadda. He said this guy went on for a while. He brought him a beer and struck up a conversation. Found out some more vital info. Mainly that he liked taking the wife to the movies.

Bro in law. Leaves before Mr. Vette. Waits outside, then follows him home. Cases the joint. Then hatches his plan. Goes back late one night, gets up on the roof and takes the bulb out of the flashing light. Then jams foam in the bell so it won't work either. Scopes out what he needs to get in.

Goes back in the morning, follows the guy to work, then leaves tickets to the movies in his daily driver with a note saying it was a secret plant from a radio station. Waits for him to go to the movies. Him and a couple of cronies, break in, with their own hose and head, cut the chain, disable all of the other stuff the guy bragged about having. Readied the car to be pushed out as his buddy rolled a piece of carpeting over the stones. They pushed it out and down the hill to the waiting roll back. Covered it up and left.

Not only did the poor guy loose his car. They rubbed it in by leaving him a note on the work bench saying "You should have kept your mouth shut. We could have never gotten this if you didn't tell us how"

From what I have learned from their experiences is. Make everything as hard to get as possible. Slow them down with stupid stuff. The longer they are there. The more chance they have of getting caught. No one wants to be caught. Like the other guy said. Hide it in plain sight. And for goodness sake, don't brag about how smart you are. It will make someone mad and they will take your stuff. He said they usually didn't go near the guys stuff that was cordial and acted like he didn't care weather it was gone or not. There was not a challange.

Don

9. mikyboy

mikyboy

If you leave your roadster at a motel,tie a long piece of thread to the front wheel and run it thru the motel door and tie it to your big toe.!! If that dont wake you up nothing will. Seriously I've traveled with guys that will chain two cars together outside motels.! Thieves dont drive 'em they load 'em on a ramp truck.

10. if they want it, they'll get it. never leave it out of your sight. if you're going to a movie, take the daily driver.

11. mikyboy

mikyboy

how about Lojack?

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

I remove my key out of the ignition switch...

13. What in the hell is a HAMB vehicle?

[​IMG]

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A lot are probably contracted out to paint and body shops. It would be nothing to steal a highend car for a few body panels and crush the rest. There was a body shop here that was doing that back in the day. Only they buried the cars in holes on the salvage lot and covered them up. That's how they got caught, if I remember correctly.

Bottomline, get something and then get a kick ass insurance policy.

15. FuelFC

FuelFC

Well great job there Sam it was a secret.

That was supposed to be for Ryan in appreciation for everything and to be his very own HAMB company vehicle.

Well I guess we'll have to get him something else now.

16. I just pull the coil wire. Most "common" thieves these days don't have the brains to understand why it won't turn over. Sure, I've replaced the coil wire more than I aught to but what the hell?

My grandfather always said that a lock just keeps and honest man out. If they want it bad enough, they're gonna get it... Isn't that the American way now? Take it rather than work for it? And far be it from me to allow my belongings to get in the way of someones Heroin addiction! :rolleyes:

Of course, I'm a documented crazy Vet that has NO problem going to the joint in defense if my shit. They'd better take it when I'm not around or else they'll die where they stand if I catch 'em. Besides, he's liable to hurt himself steeling my old rusty turd and a dead man can't sue ya! ;)

17. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

I'm worrying about this with my 36' Dodge pickup. The door handles have no keys. Is it possible to replace them with some keyed handles? As previously stated, "If a thief wants it bad enough, they'll take it" However, locking handles would be nice just for a little peace of mind.

18. jaxx

jaxx

Removable ( Quick off ) steering wheel and a hidden switch for the electric fuel pump

19. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Im too cheap to stay in hotels usually curl up somewhere in the truck/van have several.,, anyway crashing out in a truckstop or gas station people "peek" in and see me they haul ass. Todays kids couldnt even know of starting half my rigs, let alone figureing out a three on the tree! It only has 14 or 15's on it -16s if its a 4x4 , most crack heads want 20" rims. And all my rigs DON'T HAVE A RADIO!!! The engine is all the music I need to listen to.

20. I've never used an anti theft of any type. If some crack head thinks he can drive my car, go for it. I wish him the best of luck.

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Lay it flat on the grownd. and walk away, windows down keys in it.

22. blackanglia

blackanglia

Gps tracking for $1.00 a day, give or take.

23. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

i just build shit not worth stealing...

24. Jeff J

Jeff J

Chain it down to the floor! It would look like the cop car on American Graffti ! If they tried to tow it out of your garage !!!!!

25. kjohnson

kjohnson

I got a non sync 4spd. I was hoping someone would try then I could just walk up to them as they are trying to get it into second the only way I see them getting away is if there is a big hill beacuse I don't like to run.

26. FuelFC

FuelFC

One GPS enabled (smallest one you can find) cell phone yours or get one on the family plan, hidden, ringer off, turned on, display blacked out, wired in for charging. $9.95 month if you use one other than your daily.

Can be used as a back up phone for the time your not on the road.

Works well on bikes too.

Worst case cost $0.33 per day.

27. I have a battery cut off switch and a removable steering wheel.

28. Fe26

Fe26

I like the 'Gin' trap (rabbit trap) under the blanket idea, also the hand grenade. I can see the thiefs thought. "Ha Ha, the grenade idea's cute, but a bluff, he ain't foolin' me with that sad shit". He jumps in and the gin trap bites his ass and nuts. Can you imagine his surprise! At the back of his mind would be the expectation that a thief just might be in for some sort of nasty trick, but his greed gets the better of him and he jumps in anyway. Now that bite would make your eyes water up, the worst is yet to come........... when the slack runs out on the chain.

29. My first thought was that someone had finally gotten so tired of labels, "It's a traditional hot rod, rat rod, hot rod, street rod, Kustom, sled, bomb, death metal rod" that they just lumped all the different types of cars on the HAMB into one category... HAMB Vehicles(TM)

I like it.

Sam

30. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Swap two wires at the cap.