Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you represent the HAMB ideals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerocolor, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Maybe he thought you had a 454 in your '36.

2. fortynut

fortynut

Get a life. Anyone who trailers or drives their car to a car show and puts it on display has an ego problem. The only reason to go to a car show is for the swap meet stuff, or a place to sell your junk, or god forbid your car. Hot Rods were meant to be driven, not used as lawn sculpture. Instead of sitting on your duff waiting for someone to swoon over what you drive, gas up and see the world and do stuff, go on a picnic, or fish. Car shows have become just another way to waste time by people who are little more than consumers with a neurotic obsession to show off their possessions and be noticed. The idea that HAMB is about traditional cars is bunk. It's about traditional people who are trying to recreate something that was about going fast and raising hell. Most of what I read on here is about the self-centered notion that it means something mystical, when it's just people trying to make their watches run faster, at least those who know how. Everyone else is looking for clues. And, brother, because you got the redass because someone put you in a catergory that you think you didn't belong it, you're already inside a box and don't know it. Quit trying to get pleasure out of ownership. It's about something else entirely, and not about paint, tires, cams, carbs, frames, or things.

3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

While Mopar guys are "a different breed of cat", not all of us have epic egos. My Mopar buds are a fun loving bunch of guys that don't take themselves too seriously...

1969 Plymouth GTX

4. Fenders

Fenders

At some point someone bought a '32 roadster, or a '49 merc, off the showroom floor...
    If he brought it to a car show today you wouldn't bitch....

As for newer cars brought to a car show, they are just bringing it to the show too early (about 50 years too early). Ignore it, or enjoy it for what it is (or will be). :D

5. You saying a large number of "traditional" rods are considered r--r---s? About 1/2 of em have rust on them these days and did back in the day.

6. Spork!

Spork!

Most people, even car people don't know what a rat rod is. It has become a bastardized term to categorize any early car with non-shiney paint or even an open wheeled car.

I've had people call my car a rat rod because they just don't know (it's even been called a roadster because they think that's what a car with no fenders is).

When they say it's a rat rod I usually say, "It's got a SBC so it's really a mouse rod, not a rat rod!". :D

7. tolo2go

tolo2go

Represent yourself and do what ever it takes to enjoy your car and your time. Meeting with a group of guys for coffee and rolling in together is the best idea. If you have to go alone and this happens again, go to the swap meet and leave them to worry about every bird in the park.

8. I've had my truck nearly 40 years, working on it as I could between a divorce, remodeling a house, raising a son, building a new house and now on the verge of sending the young man to college. The '29 AA is mostly in primer, in pieces and has never yet run under its own power. I will retire in less than 21 months (not that I'm counting), and my dream is to drive it to and from work on my last day. I also look forward to taking it to the first Belton Cruise Night in 2015. That's the town where it all started for me in the '50s, living across the highway from Jack's Tune-up and Ed's Drive-in, where hotrods were coming and going all the time. I won't care what someone calls my truck. I'll call it "truly earned" and be thankful to all who helped me fabricate it and get it on the road.

9. `50 Spartanette

`50 Spartanette

interesting thread ... very interesting and wide spread comments

i for myself could care less about the peeps that dont like my ride ... the peeps that enjoy seeing it on the road and wave or give me a thumps up are the ones that make me smile :D

10. christopher 78

christopher 78

i think ther term "traditional" has become a trend! i just see them as cars ! why do i change shit on my car? because its mine!! and its my idea!! get over it! its really old! new trend..........bitching about the old one!!!!

11. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

As we meet people going through life rather it be business, our beloved car hobby, new neighbors, you name it, quiet often the people we interface with are but a mirror of ourselves. If you come off as a jerk there is a better than even chance you will be meeting a jerk. It really is not hard to get along with the folks involved with this car hobby we love. It is not necessary that you like the persons style build or mfg brand or paint scheme, year built, ect to show some respect. He has done the best that he can using what talent he has, what his billfold can stand and the amount of time he could allot to the project. At this point you don't know him well enough to dislike him and unless he has ask for your opinion keep the conversation light and positive, otherwise keep your opinions to yourself. You follow along with this style attitude and you are not likely to run into near as many a--holes. Try and remember, the A--hole card is a Wild Card. It can be played at any time during the game of life. It is never necessary to lead with it. Show respect / Get respect, it is that easy.

12. BISHOP

BISHOP

I like to get drunk at car shows. Takes the edge off.

13. slammed

slammed

Avoid the 'basic' generic car show. I quit the NSRA/GG thing 11 years ago for what the OP stated. Find the gems out there before the general public destroys the original intent. And do not call the HAMB hypocritical, point out it's short coming's, especially if you do not own a pre '65 anything.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The HAMB is a state-of-mind more than anything else. You either get it, or you don't. Pity those that don't get it, but wish them well in their pursuit of vehicular happiness.

15. I think this says it all! I go to events to have a place to drive to and see people I want to see. The guy with the new car (what ever floats your boat). I know and like what I built and the hell with what anyone thinks. I have as much fun in my garage or a friends garage.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps what the OP should have said was HAMB ATTITUDE. I'm trying to avoid lifestyle, even though I'm sure some feel that way. IMO, the HAMB is a website, but it's the attitude that makes the website and us who we are. Yes, it's the website that pays the BOSS and that's important, for obvious reasons. But it's the ATTITUDE/PERSONALITY of the people on the website that defines a HAMBer.

When I go to an event, I'm looking for someone wearing a HAMB hat or shirt. Because even though I've probably never met that person in real life, I would consider them a friend. Just from interacting on this website. I know car clubs that don't do half of some of the charitable stuff some of the members here do.

HAMB Andy, The San Diego Highwayman and the truck repair for Bigdaddyloves dad, to name a few, are examples of how individuals here came together for a common cause. Not for money or recognition, but because it's the right thing to do. How many stolen cars have been posted and eyes are looking, not in the cars general area, but WORLD WIDE? How many HAMB relays have been done? Sending parts across state lines and the members having never even met? How many charities have been posted and members here donated? Remember the Joplin tornadoes and how members offered help and came together for fellow HAMBers in need? How many cars have been checked out by a member from here, so a fellow HAMBer wouldn't get ripped off? How many of you have been rescued AND had your car fixed, while on a trip, from a HAMBer? Garage space is being offered RIGHT NOW in the wake of the Colorado wildfires!

Those are just a few examples of the HAMB ATTITUDE. It's the attitude that, regardless whether your car has 100% traditional parts, kinda street roddish, a work in progress or a rusted hulk, we are ALL brothers and sisters. HAMBers. When someone is down, we pick 'em up. Yea, every now and then someone tosses up an OT ride or modification and they get razzed, but if that person needed help, he'd have it in a heartbeat.

So, you may go to a show and get your ride and yourself harassed, but it damn sure wasn't a HAMBer. And THAT'S what it's all about. It's the bond that a lot of families envy. So, while the HAMB is just a website, it's actually a brotherhood, whether people realize it or not. An ATTITUDE. THAT'S representing the HAMB.

Rant over. Actually, I don't think that was a rant. Ah hell, insert "Star Spangled Banner"..... now.:D

And put a damn sticker on your car, so people can spot your car out of a crowd.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  17. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I stand corrected. After enduring six pages of differing opinions about what the HAMB stands for there is finally a clarification without animosity.
    I apologize for not wording the thread to better understand my meaning but attitude is so much clearer.
    I feel that when you are part of a group whether it be a car club, association, event organizer/worker or any organization, you represent that group when interacting in public. I don`t need Ryans directions or approval. That`s the way it is.
    I also feel that I would rather do business with a fellow HAMBer than a stranger and I haven`t met a HAMBer yet that wasn`t a pleasure to speak to. I am a vendor at a couple of swap meets a year and have met many.
    I started this thread with how to respond but it took a different path into what you drive and that wasn`t what I wanted but is part of the problem. We can`t even agree among ourselves so the above statement is the best explanation.
    Thanks to all for imput. I`ll either be more accommodating or keep to myself from now on.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  18. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, thet. When I park the truck at a show, I'll crack a beer and perch myself on the tailgate or running board. If the guy across from me is detailing his ride and he glances in my direction, I'll say "looks like thirsty work." and offer him a beer. If he declines, I'll laugh. If he accepts, I'll laugh and get him a beer.

19. Zerk

Zerk

Thumbs up, Ambassador LAROKE. That's the kind of low-key intro that cuts through all the handwringing and bullshit.

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"Don't do many car shows but when I do the first thing I look for are similar cars like mine and that seems to reduce the amount of bull shit I have to deal with."

Me to!!!!!

[​IMG]

21. rustang

rustang

I've seen this car.....that Staurn with the Caddy CTS...it is an awesome job he did on it...

22. I'm really new to the car show thing. Never had a car that was show worthy.
    I love to watch people, and the car is essentially bait to get them to come by.
    I have a close friend, has a really nice 66 Chevelle. He conned me into taking my 96 O/T Vette to these little parking lot shows they have around here.
    The Vette was invisible! Then comes the 47, and in reality, it's a solid color away from being considered a "beater". Amateur (before me) paint, incomplete interior, and sometimes it seems like you have to beat people away from it with a stick!
    Still though, I find it interesting that one person will walk by and never even acknowledge the 47's existence, and then spend 30 minutes drooling over Steve's 66.
    I'm beginning to think it's kind of like going to the bar, and checking out the girls. The one I find delicious you may not give a second glance to.
    So far, I haven't had much rudeness from the other people at the shows.
    But then, around here, it's kind of like a self imposed segregation. You usually won't see late models and early rods next to each other. The owners know they have nothing in common, and want to spend the afternoon with someone they can relate to.
    As far as representing the HAMB...as much as I enjoy the HAMB, I'd like to think my obligation is to represent all hot rodders.I'd like to think that I leave non-car people with a good feeling when we part company. Thanks, Mike

23. 31fordV860

31fordV860

I agree with -
    "We all tend to think that as we drive down the road in our rods or customs, that everyone who glances our way is admiring our car. In reality, the vast majority of people just don't get it." - Roddinron

I Seriously dont give a rip .... but here's the thing..I can remember in the late 50's driving in Los Angeles sitting in the back of my Fathers 55 Buick Century coming up along side some not so pretty Hot Rods and Customs at stoplights ... my parents ignored them and wouldnt even glance over..but me ...i sat there with a shit-eatin grin...

Attached Files:

24. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I went to a Christmas Toy run with my 40 Ford, they parked me between to over done Nova's, after being there about 5 min. they both moved.
    When I get together with friend's that were there we still get a laugh out of it.

Attached Files:

25. ^^This RIGHT HERE!! This is what has been my experience and what I find to be true. Thanks tfeverfred.

26. 117harv

117harv

Walk up to guys at shows or in public and directly ask them, Are you a HAMB member. If they say no or haven't heard of it I explain what it's about and what it means to me. If they say not interested or I will think about joining I give them one last chance. If their answer is still no, I grab them by the neck and slam them into the nearest solid object and as I walk off I drop a card on their unconcious body saying " join or die":eek::p

Just kidding, I do however ask when I see someone with a HAMB friendly ride or one who shows interest if they are a member. If the answer is no, or I have never heard of it I let them know what it's about. It's good to bring new people over to our way of building/thinking whenever you can, especially the younger folks....long live the BEST site in the world!

Tfeverfred..well said.

27. LAROKE

LAROKE

Just don't tell 'em about the blood initiation until it's too late to back out.

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's OK, I'm not into taxicabs.

29. silent rick

silent rick

for the most part, the misinformed only recognize 4 different classes of vehicle.
    they think that car is too old to be a kia so it's not a daily driver. it ain't no musclecar either. let's see, if it had shiny paint, more billet aluminum and nicer wheels it could be a streetrod. it's none of them, it must be one of them ratrods. they don't know it's a derogatory word we all hate. they just heard it used the other day and thought it was hip to use to describe anything that doesn't fit their streetrod, musclecar, daily driver description.
    feel free to respond to them, "no you douche, it's a hotrod"

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Billetproof was the event that most thought was the great equalizer. The first three were great...I recall Mikey and Crazy George mixing it up in the adjacent field (first location)
    I also met a nice couple, 'John' and his wife, 'Candy' had bought an ancient channeled '32 roadster: former Oakland Roadster show AMBR, Cad engine, original AMBR blue paint... He was having a problem with a cycle fender bracket...a rodder called out to some SWANX members for a floor jack...There it was.
    Tried to give John a hand, but he was all over it... SWANX members were also ready to furnish anything needed.

John went to work tearing off the cycle fender, wheel, drum...sheared bolts were produced, and some guys came up with hardware post haste!

Someone mentioned the HAMB, and I helped with how to find it...A few guys were 'on the site', but most were not as yet... I'll bet all of them are by now.

Like TFEVERFred said.