Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you represent the HAMB ideals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aerocolor, Jun 17, 2013.

1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

His wife told me they had bought them recently.

I think I`ll just pass on mixed car shows and focus on cruise ins and swap meets. More fun anyway.

Thanks guys.

2. I wonder what your day would have been like if you had started your conversation with a statement. Something like, ''Man, that is a good looking Mopar''. I have always tried to get to know the person first. Doesn't always work, but better than poking a stick in their eye. I think they call it people skills, but I call it just being a friendly person. You both should have taken a clue from his wife.

3. Zerk

Zerk

Maybe the difference the HAMB has made in car culture is important enough to stand on its own, and you don't have to represent its ideals.

4. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

we build cars to drive them ....

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Sounds to me like you're still a bit "wrapped around the axle" over the encounter. Are dirty fingernails a badge of honor or what?

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That's no rat. I usually don't say too much---I just remind myself that any asshole can buy a new 'vette or Camaro.

7. 54rat210

54rat210

I try not to judge but HRP is right. I like 40's,50's and 60's cars with the exception of a few post 65 cars. I usually walk past any cars. From The 2000's and up. I don't judge if someone is driving a Rat Rod or a fully restored stock. I appreciate the work put into either one.

A car built with blood sweat and tears is much respectable than someone with an abundance of disposable income buying a car to show off.

8. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

yup he sounds like a douche.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You shoulda used your jackknife. Just like the '50s, bro... (TM)

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm agreeing with this and, at 75, I lived those days and know what was COOL and what was SQUIRRELY.
    But to add to the comments I have quoted, there are external factors we need to consider:
    Regardless of whether it's traditional rod and customs as presented here, gold chain street rods, rat rods, muscle cars, new cars with an extra effort at shine and show off, tuner cars with fart can exhaust, motorcycles, or just older cars and trucks, they all have the common denominator of motor vehicles AS A HOBBY.
    And that's something this nation's elected leaders abhor, hate, and would like to outlaw.
    They want us all in little shit box econo box hybrid or electric vehicles incapable of attracting enough emotion to foster a hobby about them, but only represent a way to get from A to B in as "green" a manner as possible.
    While we fight, squabble, and cuss each other's preferences, they are consolidating their strength to push for all our special interest hobby vehicles to become fodder for the scrap crusher in more "Cash for Klunkers" campaigns.
    As said at the signing of the Declaration Of Independence, "If we don't all stick together, then surely we will all hang togethjer", or words to that effect.
    I hope the mpderators won't delete this, to me it's more a plea for sanity and survival than political.

11. afaulk

afaulk

I must have skin like a Rhino. I find it hard to really give a shit about what most people think about my cars or how fast or how slick they are. I do it for the fun of it, the color I want, etc. I do admire a wide range of cars/trucks/bikes, up to 1974. Whatever cranks yer tractor!

12. I have noticed that over the past 20 years that carshows are not what they use to be. The mind set of the " bought not built" guys just want to show off how much money or as I look at how much debt they have. The tast carshow I was at had several brand new vetts, camarro's, and chargers one that had just been bought that day with the paper work still taped to the window. I find myself looking at more of the cars in the spectater parking lot than the show room on the town square. I don't want torun down their rides because I feel to each their own. I find what I like and stay away from the rest of them.

13. Exactly! It cracks me up and I wonder if some of the younger guys realize it, or if they actually think that they are re-creating some bygone era. I'm not that old (I was a kid in the 60's and came of age in the 70's) but the concept of tattooed orcabettys would have been unfathomable in my youth. :D

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this whole HAMB "RAT ROD" panties in a bunch thing cracks me up. boo fucking hoo. if it bothers you so much get your rat rod painted and compare waxes and polishing techniques with the guys at the next show.

if someone were to ever refer to one of my cars as a rat rod I would reply "what's a Rat Rod? and go on with my day not giving it another thought.

15. 54rat210

54rat210

Yeah thats far from a Rat.

16. "When you're a Jet,
    You're a Jet all the way
    From your first cigarette
    To your last dyin' day."

Point well taken and after a moment or two of thinking about it, I have to agree

Oh, I believe the Franklin quote is: "We must all hang together, or we will surely all hang separately."

17. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I'm done with car shows , just can't get into tying up a day to attend one .
    I much prefer the cruise night where I can hit and run. Check out the cars then go for a ride. The muscle car thing has also worn thin with me, they are cool and I have owned a few but the prices of the cars and parts have been driven up and I don't have any time for the ego's. Guess I'm getting old.

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

Couldn't have said it better.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, aerocolor where are the pics of the event that you went to? petew - I agree with you about not wanting to spend the whole day at one event. I do a lot of spectator stuff. have even gone to 4 shows in one day. lucky for all of us that we do not all like/own the same type of ride.

20. The big problem here is there are more than one concept of what a rat rod is. First is the accepted HAMB concept, poorly built, spider webs, rebar, yadayadayada! Then there is the general earth populations concept which is unpainted, not shiny, plain wheels, yadayadayada.
    I, personally adhere to the thought that if I can't say something nice about someone elses car, I'm not looking hard enough!
    To the original poster, do you think the conversation might have gone differently if you would have said, "Boy the sun really brings out the shine on your paint, bet you win a trophy today!" Yeah, I realize you don't give a rats ass about him or a trophy, but we all have egos and we all like them stroked.

Last small show I went to I had to park beside what I thought was a riced out Saturn. (yuk) After the guy opened his hood and I saw the 500 caddy OOOOH NICE CAR! I could have been stupid and made a comment about his riced out piece of shit, but instead I had a nice conversation with a guy that put a lot of work into a really neat modern hot rod.

21. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I`m happy you`re secure in what you drive.
    I`m very proud of what I build and they all aren`t unpainted drivers. I don`t lay on the concrete every winter for anyone else but me.
    I do enjoy having a truck I can take to a cruise or swap meet and walk away from without being concerned about kids standing on the basecoat/clearcoat running boards so I have a couple of shop trucks for that purpose.

22. Simply, he was a prick!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First off, thank God you weren't between two "Vette Guys". Not guys who own Corvettes, but the ones who really believe anything else was an automotive test gone wrong.

I never sweat the other guys ride. Especially if it's a newer car. His, Camaro or Challenger is faster and maybe quicker, but his huge monthly note says he's paid to be in the "cool guys" club. Or, at least, that's what he tells himself. And deep inside, he's hoping he doesn't get laid off or his good times will be on a repo list. I actually wish him well or pity, depending on my mood. You'll never win an argument or sway the opinion of those guys. A couple weeks ago, I had a guy challenge me to a street race. His brand new HEMI Challenger looked like an advertisement for a rap video. I calmly refused, but educated him on how his new HEMI really wasn't a REAL HEMI. Then, he displayed his ignorance by naming off specs he must have heard on "Fast and Loud". "Well, it's 12.5 to 1 compression ratio and has an off road cam! My rims cost $10,000!" Where do these guys hear this bullshit?:D

I'll take time to chat with someone curious about what the hell I'm driving. Like my signature says, most folks don't even get it. I don't go to open cruise nights anymore. I'm always polite, even when they call my T a rat rod. When I plan on spending time with cars, I do it with people who's conversation I can relate to. I have no interest in how to fit a 24" rim into the wheel wells of a new Charger. If you were a BBQ chef, why would you hang out somewhere filled with vegetarians?:confused:

As for the OP, by commenting on not having to wax your car, you slighted the guy and maybe didn't realize it. It may have been the way you said it.

I've only entered one show and that was because I could get my pic with a war bird. Since making money has made organizers resort to "open year" rules, I have no reason to attend. I drive my T everyday and everyday is my own personal car show and so far, I've come in first place every time.;)

Just what the hell is the HAMB ideal?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Well said sir!

25. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Your truck has rust on it... Looks like more rust than paint actually. Being that is the case, you should probably get used to the ratrod comment and not quite so easy to get so excited about it. If not... You may want to stop driving it anywhere as the general public will call it what they have been conditioned to call it. Good luck with your temper adjustment or lack of driving... Whichever you choose.

26. 327Eric

327Eric

I have been deep into Cars My Whole life. I have only had drivers, never anything Show Quality, but unique.I have been to shows that guys have dug my truck, and insulted my truck. That said, I could give a Rats Ass about opinions, be it Rat rodders, lawn chairs guys, or even Hambers. Yeah, I said It. I go to shows, to enjoy the cars, and find a few I like at every Show. I banter on the H.A.M.B. because I have found a large group of like minded people, who like the stuff I do. I have fun, I like the compliments, and take the rest, it is what it is. In the end, Its my car , built my way, and it aint a Prious. There will always be a mine is bigger than yours attitude at car shows, but you don't have to be a part of it, or let it get to you. Different cars, different syles, different attitudes. I would love to have a car that I could wax, and make nice at a car show, and a nice house, and , and, and,--------

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

The HAMB ideal is what the forum and all of its participants/contributors exude as car guys. That`s my take on it. It is simply what is spoken here.

The majority seem to be on the same wavelength as to what is pleasing to the eye or functional to the purist in accordance with the traditional hotrod/custom and what we all look for in our present and future builds/rides. Therefore we should all consider ourselves ambassadors of the HAMB when attending events.

Am I wrong?

28. I drive it like I stole it.

29. Yeah, you kind of are - I have seen just as many examples of narrow minded, rude, and opinionated thoughts expressed here as in the real world. In fact many on here have bragged about how they cut down some "Gold Chainer" or Tuner kid or whatever. Same stuff from the other side of the fence!

Let's face it, Rat Rod become a part of the civilian lexicon used for any old rusty car and it is not necessarily meant as a derogatory word by many of the folks that use it. It is just the word they have heard to describe a certain look of car, and trying to stay hip, they repeat it.

30. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

There you go doing it again. I'm a "Mopar guy" and I'm very sure my fingernails have been much more "dirty" than yours ever will be.

This isn't a contest about who's the coolest. If you think you are then you surely aren't. We're all in the same life boat here, so start acting like it cause like uncle Ben said - "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"