Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you remove a radial shaft seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Have any you guys had to pull one out of something???

2. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

It is in a power steering rack. You can't access the back side to drive it out. The inside is about 1" in diameter.

I assume there is a tool that pulls it out???

3. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Rigid-Shaft Seal Tools

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" class="horizImgs ImgGrid"><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 154px"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class="GridCell ImageCell">[​IMG]Seal Puller

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Seal puller has different hook sizes on each end to remove most oil and grease seals.

<TABLE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" id=RenderableTbl_634904620760139521WWVG class=ItmTbl><THEAD><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 45px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrNoPivotIndent NoWrapCell"></TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 45px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecInterior NoWrapCell">O'all
    Lg.</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdr NoWrapCell"></TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrEndPrice NoWrapCell">Each</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 4px" class=InLnOrdWebPart_BufferRowFor6887A11><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=RenderableRow_634904620760139521LRVU><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 50px" class="ItmTblCellIndentPivotNone ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">Seal Puller</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 47px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpecBefrPartNbr ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">12 1/2"</TD><TD class="ItmTblCellPartNbr InLnOrdWebPartLayout_ItmTblPartNbrCell ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell AddToOrdBxCreated" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">6887A11</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 9px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" class="ItmTblCellPrce ItmTblColSpacePrceAftrPartNbr ItmTblColSpacePrceTblEnd ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">$11.91</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. I just drill a small hole in the midlle of the seal taking care not to damage either the outside housing or the shaft, then screw in a self tapping screw once again taking care not to damage the housing or shaft then using pliers or side cutters carefully pry out the seal.This is only done this way if the shaft is still in place.
    I am doing this at present on my sons engine to get the front and rear crank seals out to replace them.
    Hope this helps.

5. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have access to the spring side, not the metal side, I don't know if I can get a screw in it. The seal is only about 3/16" wide....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It sits all the way in the back towards the lower part of vice.

I have no idea what to do, I already have scratched the inside of the piston, not bad but still not something you want to do.

6. Make up a hook type puller,like bend up the end of a rod,make it into a slide hammer set up and pull it out that way.

7. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I got it after 3-4 failed apparatus's.