Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you protect your Hot Rod when traveling and staying overnight in a motel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GotRust, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I think if we catch a car thief we should string the bastard up in plain view with a note sewn to his dick saying , car thieves your next. Thats like a kill switch only more fun. Mybe shoot him in the head I dont know what ever works just get the message out there. Have a nice day. John

2. zzford

zzford

I am kinda paranoid about my car being stolen so I pull everything of value off it and take it all inside. My wife complains about the weight of the engine and trans combo, I just tell her that it is good exercise.

3. nick3757

nick3757

Forget all of these alarms and fancy tricks. All you have to do is jack up the car, put the wheels in the hotel room, and leave it on blocks. They'll think everything good is off of it. And for extra protection put on a car cover. That will really screw them up.:D

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Damn. Next month I was planning to drive my car down to NC for a week. I'm staying in a small biker hotel (I've never been there before) Now you've got me worried.

5. injunnuity

injunnuity
    from Wisconsin

Put a car cover over it. Most people will just stay away from it. But then again it is like the saying locks only keep honest people honest

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

tow truck drivers with roll backs are the real thieves almost no one will question them putting a car on the roll back, had 3 cars stolen one car had no wheels sitting on the drums, but it did not stop a roll back driver from stealing it. and am more like to chase away a tow truck driver then a walk up thief trying to hot wire a car

7. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

Seems a car or more is stolen at every major event this year so far, The BEST system I have seen is the ArrowTrack by Eclispe Engineering in Whittier , CA. It is less in size than a pack of cigs, just two wires, ground and power. It sends you a text message if you car is tampered with, it will text you if the power is shut off or if motion is detected. If you get the text, simply go online and you can follow your car on a moving map, call the cops and tell them exactly where the car is and it will even give you the MPG.
    Google Arrowtrack by Eclipse Engineering, it is amazing . My car is at an uph shop today so I know when the starting working on it and when they put it back in the shop. Steve the owner has them in stock and he will walk you through the ez setup on line.

8. When I was a kid I worked with a guy that had been a radioman in the big war. (Quite a bit older than me) He fixed TVs as a side job, so one day he comes to work and fiddles around under his hood for a few minutes and then comes in the store. He says to me "what ever you do don't touch my car today, but watch when that mutt comes to piss on my tires. (a certain dog made the rounds every day like clockwork) Dog never yiped, squealed or anything, but jumped what seemed like 10 feet in the air and hit the ground dead. We went over to the car, old guy pressed a rubber button he had rigged to shut his "invention" off, and said maybe I'll turn it down a bit next time. Dogs pissin' parts were scorched black and there was a lot of burnt hair smell around.
    Give anyone any ideas? Don't want to kill anyone, but giving them half a second of a T Ford coil will remind them that the car ain't theirs.

9. Slimmey

Slimmey

Did that with my OT R/T back in high school. The cheerleaders used to go out back on game days and sit on the cars. I just used a 9vlt. Batt on mu T coil, hooked it up to the big chrome frt. Bumper. Needless to say they never sat on my car again!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. jer11ren

jer11ren

I'm sitting in a hotel on the way to Billetproof right now, worrying. I bought a driveway alert monitor from Harbor Freight for $15. Cordless, just lay it on the dist cap under the cover. Kill switches, coil wire removed, and big cables around a tree and rear axle. Also lots of insurance, but the memories and sentimental value could never be replaced. We built it to have fun so at the end of the 1800 mile run I'm sure the memories will outweigh the worries. As has been said, you can only do so much.

11. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

12. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Im fond of my 45 with the laser site. Hit em with the red dot and they take off running :)

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Took the keys out and went to bed, it's just a freaken car.

Pat

14. Hell, I got enuf insurance on mine,
    I'll leave it runnin with a hundred dollar bill on the front seat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This was just mentioned on another thread:

Leave your cell phone on, tucked away in the car somewhere. If the car is taken they can apparently track it using the phone.

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Its easy dont stay at the Fair Plex in Pomona

17. How about a chalked body outline in front of the car, and police tape around the "scene"!

18. Jims35

Jims35

Don't need the gun just the red dot laser will do it , they don't know the difference.__:D

19. 117harv

117harv

LOL...

The cell phone tracking along with all the regular methods are the best bet.

The it's just a car thinking may be correct on some level, but I agree wth the posters who say it's more than a car. Spending years and countless hours fabbing, searching parts, and hard labor, and finaly getting it going, makes it part of your life, so to speak. An insurance payout is just $$$$$:cool:

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How's this?

Attached Files:

21. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I don't worry about it...I don't want one of mine to get stolen, but I do insure them accordingly.....as you get older you get to the point of just enjoying the trip...if you worry all week over it getting stole, you can't enjoy it...let the insurance agent lay in bed at night and worry about it....BUT I do carry a gun with me at all times....so if you see a red dot on your chest...you might ought to holler out real loud....I'M JUST LOOKING..............I'M A REAL GOOD SHOT ESPECIALLY WITH THE LAZER POINTER

22. mow too much

mow too much

23. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Nope. Just pulling coil wire is not enough. All they have to do then is remove 1 plug wire and use it as a coil wire. So what if it skipps a little.

24. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Hidden battery kill switch, also works if getting in car after drinking you may forget to turn back on.

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

in my youth... 100 fricken years ago,
    we used to drive straight to and back with
    3 drivers ... so ... (only if we HAD to stop overnight)
    that usually turned into a shower and a nap,
    1 or 2 would ALWAYS stay with the car/truck.

ah the days when a baloney samich was good enough.

:cool:

26. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Hot Rods will run on 7cly . Had some nice guys take my coil wire off my Hemi while in school took all of 10sec remove a wire . Then plug it in for a coil wire. Hidden switch quick release steering wheel parking in front of office are all good things to help stopping midnight movers .

27. If only you could! Whop, Splash, Done!

28. chuckekelly

chuckekelly

Put a wheel lock like the police use in Chicago on one of the wheels .It takes a wrecker to move the car

29. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Them things are like $800.00
    I bought this ---not as good as the real thing,but every little deterrent helps.
    The pro's will come with an enclosed trailer,or roll-back with a big winch and no switches or anything is gonna stop them

Attached Files:

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I used to leave a target with several bullet holes in the bulls eye on the windshield.