Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you protect door wiring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTSDave, Oct 11, 2010.

1. GTSDave

GTSDave

I just picked up a sweet 51 Plymouth from an old friend of mine It is a great car and stupid fast! Most of the car was built by my friend. Those parts are fine, but some of the wiring was done a long time ago and needs to be updated.

I have been dealing with a short and finally found it in the wiring that goes from the kick panel area out into the doors. It has shaved handles and is wired for remote door poppers. The problem is I keep pinching the wires in the door jam which causes a short and blows fuses.

I am looking for ideas on a reliable way to protect my wiring going out to the doors.

What have you tried, and what worked best for you?

-Dave

[​IMG]

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Depending on the look you want, there are a few options. For a low key solution that works, you could rob them off any car in the salvage yard. Or, you can get them from companies like Elecrtric-Life

http://www.electric-life.com/shopexd.asp?id=1320

Some places sell a flexible metal tubing, or braided stainless. I have also seen metal contacts put in the jambs (Jamb-tac or something like that), but I would think that method would be troublesome.

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

if its only 1 wire you can slip it thru a section of 1/4 inch air line. Use a grommet on 1 side to hold the air line tight, and let the other end slide thru the hole you drill in the door. The tubing will keep the wire straight and it takes a long long time for it to wear thru.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

There are a couple of ways to achieve your goal;

1) Weld a piece of contoured brake line to the bottom of a door hinge and
    use it as a conduit.

2) Buy a 'ready-made' door wire loom. They range in quality from plastic tubing
    to billet aluminum and are priced accordingly. Google 'door wire loom'.

Myself I used the cheap black plastic tubing, black grommet and a black cable-tie to hold it in place. And as you know..............some K-Y jelly to keep things moving freely.

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

I used the spring loaded contacts that you mount on both sides of the door and frame. They come in 2, 3, & 4 pin models. The only drawback is the door must be closed for them to make contact and work. I kept wondering why my door speaker wasn't working until I realized the door had to be closed to complete the circuit. DUH.

6. GTSDave

GTSDave

Thanks guys.

I thought about the spring loaded contacts, but decided against them. I think they would cause problems with the door poppers if it only partially opens the door on the first try.

I like the flexible door loom idea, as it works well on modern cars. The door jams are pretty thin so it would take some small diameter stuff to make it work. I might try to snag some at the salvage yard and give it a shot.

I really like the brake line idea, and the air hose idea.

There are more than two wires, but I am not sure where all of them go to yet. You know how it is with a new machine. Lots of exploring left to do. (Kinda like getting a new girlfriend hehehe)

-Dave

7. Dennis D

Dennis D

I did a search on here for door wiring. Someone had a post about using screen door springs. I tried it on my coupe and it works like a champ. Thrifty also! Dennis D

8. skidsteer

skidsteer

Cheapest, and easiest, is to use a piece of small diameter metal spring, and run the wires through that. make it extra long, so it stays put when the door is fully opened.

9. In your local hardware store plumbing section there is a flexible wire "tube" (SS I think) used for bending pipe - comes in a couple different sizes and the ends are usually flared, perfect for a "stop" on each side. Inexpensive and doesn't look too bad.

10. GTSDave

GTSDave

Thanks Tom,

Will check it out.