Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you open the hood on a 50 Ford coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Is the release on the inside of the car next to the emergency brake?,,,,,,,,,,if it is then it don't work.

How would you go about getting the hood open?

I ran across this car yesterday while out shakin' down the roadster after some repairs. I'm told the guy wants to sell it and it was dropped off at the shop yesterday morning,,,,

Went by the shop and got the mans name and number,,,but we couldn't get the hood up,,,,,the ol' gal is in real good shape execpt his dumb ass kid used the top for a trampoline.

Keep ya fingers cross for me,,,,as if i don't have enough projects to last two life times! [​IMG]

2. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Yea, it's the cable next to th e-brake. AS for gettin' it open without the cable, don't know, never had to do it.

3. TV

TV

Yap,If I remember right the T handle next to the E brake pops it up about an Inch, so you can pull the lever from the outside and open. If that won't work you must pull the drivers side wheel off so you can reach up and try to open it..GOOD LUCK, Itsa Bitch.--TV [​IMG]

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

You may have to take the grille out to get your hand up around the back of the latch panel. I had a cable brake on one with a Merc shell & Desoto grille and I had to pull the grille out to get my arm & hand in there with a screwdriver to slide the lever over. Unless you got arms like a 5 year old I don't think you'll be able to reach it with the stock grille in place.

Billy

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Try grabbing the cable itself with a pair of pliers and pulling it first. It's a simple braided cable sheathed in a spring-type outer.

If that doesn't work, you can try to reach through the grille to move the lever with a screwdriver, but it isn't very easy. It can be done, however...I had to do it on mine once.

Taking the driver's side wheel off won't help you as far as I can figure...the cable is all under the hood and clipped to the inside of the inner fender.

6. Thanks,,I'll go back tomorrow and try and see if i can get it open,,,,HRP

7. Spray some WD40 up in the area of the latch.
    Put a little extra on the drivers side on top of the black sheet metal piece the hood latch mounts to.

After it's soaked for a bit - this is gonna take two people - grab the T-handle and have a friend push down on the hood while you apply pressure.
    Don't get crazy with the pulling or you'll pull the cable button off - it's only held on by one small set screw.

If the pushing down doesn't work, have your friend try to bang the hood down with open palms down and on a high crown of the hood near the hood ornament so there is no denting of the hood.

If that doesn't work, try to find a 50 Ford where the hood does open and do some studying.
    If the owner allows, maybe some test reaching to see where things are so you can do it blind.

Key thing is to lube the latch and get some pressure off it while attempting to open it.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]

Keep ya fingers cross for me,,,,as if i don't have enough projects to last two life times! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what you need............another old Ford........

No wonder none of the rest of us in S.C. can find anything decent.........

You have it all tucked away in your barn !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. No need to open it, its prolly just a flatty under there anyway.....

10. Curt Six

Curt Six

When I first got my coupe we laid the hood on it (it wasn't attached) and cinched it down with some straps to trailer it home (from NYC to Baltimore). By the time we got it home I was in the same predicament you're in now. Man, did I feel like an asshole when I got it home and had everyone I know waiting to check out the car I dragged 300 miles home and I couldn't even get the hood open!

Looks like you've already got your answers from Bass, C9 and others...I think I wound up pulling the grille and disassembling as much of the latch as I could from underneath before it finally freed itself up enough that I could grab some cable with a set of needle nose pliers. Good luck!
    Curt