Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how do you manage your hot rod "to do" list?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

A friend of mine, who is probably one of the most productive men in the garage that I have ever met, has extensive to-do lists that he creates and manages on Excel spreadsheets for his projects.
    On the other hand we see David Freiburger of roadkill, scratching out his lists on a piece of cardboard that he tore off of a parts box, or an old chunk of scrap wood with a magic marker.
    Another friend of mine doesn't have any kind of list at all. He says "just do".
    I used to be a pretty disorganized, no list guy. Then I started scribbling notes on scraps of paper or tablets, that would constantly be getting lost. then I graduated to a small whiteboard on the side of my toolbox that I could make lists with dry erase marker. That was pretty good because I always knew where it was. The problem was that it wasn't big enough because I like to juggle multiple projects.
    So my current iteration is an Excel spreadsheet for major projects, combined with a 3-ring binder for each project to hold all of the receipts, instructions for parts, and anything that's more practical for me to write on a piece of paper like notes on engine assembly clearances, wiring diagrams, and things like that. Then I also use an app called Evernote. It is on my phone and my computer and automatically syncs. I can make short-term to-do lists using my phone voice to text feature so I don't have to type, and each item on the list has a checkbox that I can check just by touching it with my finger. I don't find that Evernote is good for managing the overall project the way I use it. It's better just for daily to-do lists for the project. Like if I'm working on my project in the evening, and I need to call a supplier the next day when I'm at work, I can put that on the Evernote list. And the Excel spreadsheet helps manage the overall project.

How do you guys do it?

Tim likes this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't have a "to do" list. Right or wrong we just go by what needs doing while we are out there!

3. I have a "white board" up in my garage. I use a grease pencil to write down what needs to be done and erase them when completed.

joel, stillrunners, wackdaddy and 2 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I have multiple lists. The garage has a huge sheet of butcher paper tapped to the wall with multiple lists on it. I find if I keep that big list simplified it’s easier to see progress.

when I get to something on the list that is actually a multi step process I’ll make a scratch paper list of steps/ processes. Then I take those and schedule them in my daily/weekly schedule so I can attempt making progress

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a white board on the wall in the back hallway to the garage. Every time I go by on the way to the garage I try to erase something else off the list. Not always successful on that as some times I just go out there to drink beer and think! All paper work such as receipts, emails, credit card slips, and so on go in a folder in my file cabinet in the office.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  6. Making a list is on the list.

7. Not very well, now where is that list anyway....;):)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  8. I'm not so old I don't remember the things I need to do, my problem is procrastination.:rolleyes: HRP

Kan Kustom, Uribe, BigO and 6 others like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

No lists. Just bounce around from 1 to the other as I have parts or needed materials.

Work on headlight stands until I run out of tube, so work on door gaps until more tube shows up then back to headlights. So there's no idea what I may be doing day to day.

mgtstumpy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, right after I balance my checkbook.................

stillrunners and GordonC like this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Progress on the car can be slow, thus sometimes it is not to gratifying at the end of the night because the results are barely visible. I find that crossing stuff off the list is motivating. Can't do that without a list. Also, the checklist helps plan stuff I need to buy, so I don't get stalled waiting for parts. A lot of times it's just little stuff like oddball fasteners or a gasket that I will order ahead of time because it was on the checklist, rather than forget about it until get stalled by lacking it.

Black_Sheep and 56don like this.
  12. raven

raven

I use a whiteboard in the shop. Start with a series of tasks and when that list is completed, I pen the next series of tasks.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the Notes app on my iPad and phone. If I really want to remember something I tell it to my wife; then if I forget it’s her fault.

As a former scientist, I have a way-too-detailed accounting of all project costs in an Excel spreadsheet (dates, vendors, costs, purpose category, etc.).

rockable likes this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Having four vehicles I keep a list for each one. Things I need to do and things I want to do.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  15. I keep a list on a note pad, checking each project completed. It's satisfying seeing each step finished. Of course I am constantly adding projects as I go...

16. "Traditional" Blackboard on the wall and chalk for me ( when I can find the chalk. ..otherwise just an old spiral bound notebook hanging by a string by the door...leftover from my school days)

17. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

its all in my head

mgtstumpy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s me :D Money doesn’t grow on the tree outback so I try to prioritize what the big ticket items will be and get the parts to them take care of them . The rest is hard work , dirt under the finger nails and trying to keep the end vision on course. First I always seem to have to work on keeping myself inline.:p A project in itself.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Three lists. One all inclusive on the bulletin board in the shop. One of things I’m going to do soon that is with my wallet and keys in the house. And one on my desk in the den for parts needed to buy or services that would be outsourced(money needed). Sometimes I get to cross off items on all three lists! A very good feeling!

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Open the door, pick up the first thing that rolls out.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes I use a notepad but mostly I keep that and all my service info, part numbers, etc. in an app called Evernote using my phone or tablet.

22. I am probably the worst to bounce from this to that depending on what is the easiest of the worst evils to be done at the time.
    Also as other have chimed in.. do what you have parts that you just got in also.. When one is on a shoe string budget, You just cant say here do this I will pick it up when done., Like others with deep pockets.

stillrunners likes this.
  23. I'm way too fluid during my builds to keep any type of list. The way I operate, I'd need a list to help me keep track of any list. I'm an extremely hard to please sob, but I've learned to live with it...

24. cretin

cretin

Each car has its own notebook so I can keep each car organized, and I can write down and/or draw ideas I have. That comes in handy when I have an idea or solution for something it's not time to do yet, so I won't forget the idea when the time comes to do it.

rod1 and Stogy like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's all in my head. I try to do the bottom stuff first, instead of the easier to get to top stuff. Have to make myself lay down on the concrete floor until it's done. Then I can stand up and bend over to do the top stuff. Then I get to lay on the floor again to do the stuff I forgot to do, or waited to do. Only time I make a list is when I need parts, then I cross them off as I get them, if I don't lose the list first.....

26. Scrapes of paper around the house, jumping from car to car, job to job. I space out at work all the time thinking of ways to fix my projects. My g/f says "what car are you thinking about" when I get quite while we're cruising around.

27. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

When a project is being planned a list is very helpful for keeping an eye out for and sourcing parts. I do keep most receipts as well. Sometimes it's hard to remember what you already have or what you want to improve on. I refer to this list before going to swap meets and have it handy while on-line browsing.
    I have more parts storage space available than working space so I rely on outbuildings for blasting, painting etc. so that mostly gets done in the warmer weather. A list doesn't really help there. I will make notes on what needs to be done on a chassis before the body gets bolted down or what sub assemblies should be done ahead of reassembly. That's about it.
    Oh yeah, I do keep a list of major parts I have left over from previous projects and try to downsize inventory that I know I'll never use by trading or selling.
    The thing I need to remember more than anything is to just get my ass in the garage. That should be #1 on the list.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Dart Board with things to do posted on it

Hemi Joel and mad mikey like this.
  29. Taped to the car's hood.. 34list.jpg

Hemi Joel likes this.
  30. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm a white board guy. Then again sometimes I just use a clip board with a sheet of paper. But I do like to make lists and cross off jobs as they're finished. Makes things a lot easier for me.

Hemi Joel likes this.