Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do you make flipper caps for a wide five ford wheel fit a non wide five ford wheel ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hombres ruin, Nov 23, 2016.

1. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Hi guys I have a 41 ford and I have a set of NOS flipper caps that don't fit the 41 wheel. The caps are wide five . No one seems to know how to modify the caps to fit the 41 .. I have heard of taking a stock 41 cap and welding it to the center of the flipper cap. Has anyone done this and what are the results . Thanks so much [​IMG][​IMG] the first pic is with the inner ring gone the second pic is the other cap with the ring in place . The ring is missing due to trying to modify it to fit

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

I wouldn't have been cutting without a plan in place first. Yes, you can weld a later cap into the wide five cap, but you may need all the steel that was already in there. Pick up a used and dented 48 Ford cap and hold it in place. That's the only way to know what kind of clearance you will have.

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

We had a plan but it went south. Does anyone have any pics of the process I can't find any

4. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

like alchemy said, buy some junk 40-48 caps trim out the backside with lip and leave as much meat as you can. center it up and tack it all the way around. you cut it out so big you may need some more metal to take up the difference

5. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

6. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Seems like if you welded the smaller cap inside those bigger caps, you'd never be able to get them off the wheel once you snap 'em on...

I don't know how badly you want to use those caps, but I'm pretty sure a wide-5 drum from a '39 will slide right over your '41 brakes. Then of course you'd have to get the '39 ('36-'39) wheels too.

7. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

He asked how to get them on there not take them off j/k :cool:

I think he already trimmed off the part that would allow them to clip in to a 39 wheel

8. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Without seeing them in real life, is there anything outside of the box that might be worth a try? Could you attach a cap using the machine screws that hold the flipper bar on (probably need longer screws)? Could you use those VW hubcap clips on the wheel or the cap somewhere?