Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you make a new top look old??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studefreak, Dec 6, 2011.

1. studefreak

studefreak

Anyone know where to buy vintage or weathered looking canvas material for a conv. top . The car has great patina and everthing i've looked at just doesnt look right. I guess I could just park it under the tree's

Attached Files:

2. Give it a year and it will look old enough. If you go with cream and leave it down it will get discolored real well. Where you live it you'll probably be back in a year trying to find out how to freshen it.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

spill tea on it, beat it with a rusty chain.

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

damp coffee grounds

5. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Find a boat shop, old sails or old open boat mooring covers would be nice and nasty for ya

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How old do you want it to look? Just a bit weathered? Trashed? Older style material?

Try this...I can get Haartz "Durable" topping in tan. Durable has more organic fiber in it than Stafast. I love the look as is for restoration as it doesn't have that sunny day glow to it from the synthetic fibers that Stafast has. before you get to sewing up that top, throw it in the washing machine with a load of dirty clothes and then let it air dry. I'd do it once all of the cutting was done so it was smaller pieces. Just an idea...

7. studefreak

studefreak

I looking for that weathered look and appears dated as the car . I had the top done on my 29 last year and it stands out like sore thumb on a car that the paint is 40+ years old .

Attached Files:

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A new top is just maintenance on any open car so there should be no problem with anyone looking at your car. I think it is your problem thinking a new top is a bad thing.
    Say this 50 times..."a new top is a good thing, it's just everyday ordinary maintenance".
    Now, wasn't that easy?

9. F&J

F&J

A hamber from Europe did the used sail cloth on his, but it was a little too aged looking for me.

The tan Haartz cloth is a bitch to keep clean, so that would be my #1 choice. It's not too much tan, it's a washed out looking color to begin with.

10. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

I've seen old canvas from an Army tent used.

11. tea bag it
    red clay dirt

12. 100 miles of dirt road will do it .:):)

Seriously though, I did do that although not to age it but simply because I wanted to go to the salt here downunder and avoiding dirt roads isn't an option.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

From experience, dropping a lawn chair from the garage attic on a new top makes it look old really quickly.

Brian

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Strategically placed Duct tape.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a tree fall on mine. Looked real old real quick....
    I'd set it outside for the winter.

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

That's good shit right there!lol