Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you guys/gals price old parts ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by david_s914, Jun 24, 2012.

1. david_s914

david_s914

I hope this isnt too off topic, but I just found a big stash of some new old parts that were headed to the scrap pile. I made an offer and now I own them. Lots of them came from a Chevy dealership that supposedly closed in the 60's. Lots of the parts have never been installed and are still in the original boxes, although the boxes are pretty well shot. Lots of old headlight lenses, new door ventshades, some new transmission gears, some new chrome mouldings, new guages, new vaccuum operated windshield washer setups, and I'm still going through stuff !! Lots of this stuff I have no use for that I want to find a home for, and maybe get me some stuff for my Whippet project. I dont want to overprice the stuff, but I dont wanna screw myself either. So .... should I watch Sleazebay and price the stuff by that, or would I be better off just pulling a price outta my ass and negotiating from there ????

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you can find something similar that sold on ebay in an auction, with more than one bid, then you can get a rough idea of what the market will bear.

If the parts are for popular cars, putting them on an ebay auction is a good way to get decent money. If they're oddball parts that no one wants, you can spend a lot of time trying to unload them, it can be almost like a job.

3. Just remember if you're high you can always come down, but the best way to maximize profit would be to just ebay the parts. People will pay big money for NOS trim pieces. The other stuff will probably be slow to move, but one of those good-until-cancelled listings will let the people who need it find it and make an offer.

If you just want to sell the stuff, then you can probably pick a low price out of the air and the stuff that's hot will go fast - although someone else will probably be flipping some of the pieces, if you care about that.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Do a search for comperables. I usually spend some time here on the classifieds and over at that auction sight looking for prices that others have simular items priced at.

5. david_s914

david_s914

Okey dokey ..... There are parts from anything from Model T's to early 70's GM. A few things that I have no idea what they fit also .... instrument clusters, a 50's nash "flying lady" hood ornament, on and on and on !! I was gonna try to price it out and offer it here before I put it on that auction place !!

6. Humm how I do it........ if it is a friend and he is going to use it on a car that will be on the road than I almost give it away, if its some asshole who wants it for a wall hanger then he don't have enough money for it....... simple rules

7. When I take stuff to a swap meet I usually figure a used part is worth maximum of 1/2 what a new one is worth and then I come down considering condition. As far as new parts I agree with the others that ebay is your best bet because some stuff might sell for more that what it did new and some you can't give away.

8. Beau

Beau

Is this a thread to advertise what you found or to figure out how to find out what the parts are worth?

Searching forums, auction sites and craigslist is how I do it.

9. Ebay completed listings.

10. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

T-3 GM headlights bring good money.

11. david_s914

david_s914

Well duh ..... like the title says, Im trying to figure out how to price this stuff!! If I were trying to advertise it, it would take a post several pages long, and that is what the classifieds are for. Some of this stuff is going to be hard to identify because a bunch of it is not too common !!

12. F&J

F&J

The market is different and softer for a few years now.

Here is what I would do; figure your minimum prices by dividing the entire load. Then put that minimum price on each part, and run it as the start price without reserve. Get it gone.

I parted out a 40 Ford doodlebug 4 years ago when things were better. Cost was less than 300, gross was 1800 and I kept the dash for my car and some other trinkets, but I started every piece at 99 cents, no reserve.

Greed will give less sales.

So, let's say you spent 500, and if 50% of what you ID'ed as good sellers can get that 500 back, example: 50 pieces starting at $10 each, start at that pricing, and let it rip.

All I am saying, is if you start at 100 for a certain item, it may not sell, but as a no reserve, it might get to 90 or more, if started low/no reserve, and if it really is a good piece to market.

Get these parts back out there so people can use them;)

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

If the parts are NOS from the dealership, then they would be of value to the restoration crowd. If you have early Ford original parts, then I would try fordbarn.com. Do a search in the "parts for sale" section and you will get an idea of the going price. Price on the high end if you're willing to sit on the part; price it on the low end if you want tomove it fast.

-Mitch