Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you do this? (painting)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goozgaz, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Can someone de-construct the process for how this entire panel could have been done?

Are the fades along the fan done with a little air-brush gun (like t-shirt painters)?

[​IMG]

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Hard to see in the little pic, but probably masked off the whole trapezoid area first. Then a piece of shirt stock cardboard held up as a mask. Add a little blast of black through an air brush to make the lines. Let dry. Then fog in some green candy around the perimeter. Let dry. Then mask off the trapezoid and spray some more candy around the outer edge (or all of the candy may have been shot freehand. A little pinstriping embellishment and it is done.

Lots of ways to kill this one, but that is what I would have done. It is just built up in layers and then finally clearcoated with the rest of the car...

3. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

The fan is what really gets me.

Is each individual line taped and then sprayed so as not to have overspray on the other fan lines/creases? Or is the airbrush fine enough that it will spray that thin of a line?

4. BEAR

BEAR

you can do it with a airbrush . a airbrush can do some crazy shit with the right person

5. A good airbrush person will just hold a piece of plastic to "mask" it and just hit it freehand moving to the next line

6. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Yeah, like the T shirt painters. Just take you car with you the next time you visit Six Flags.

7. roddinron

roddinron

A good airbrush will shoot a line as fine as a pencil line. Those were done using an airbrush actually set fairly wide, and sprayed along a mask like a piece of poster board or something. If you aim the brush right at the edge of the mask and run along it, you get a dark line that fades out. It's a very basic airbrush trick. Try it with a spray can.

8. Definitely what everybody said. If it wasnt masked with cardboard it was masked with tape. Just masking and spraying. simpler than u think. Airbrush for sure. paint gun would have to much overspray.

9. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Friscut and construction paper with a couple of airbrushes. I did some like that under the hood of a 55 International.

10. Heo

Heo

a trick when you do fadings like that
    is to mix the paint with clear to make
    it a litle bit transparent

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Funny thing Gooz is i always wondered that myself but never ask'd!
    Aint that 69 soooooo nice?
    bigger shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, use a piece of cardboard, but plastic is better, doesn't have a fuzzy edge. It's the same technique they used in the 60's to do fish scales, and such on those wild looking cars and later, vans.
    Tape, you can't work fast enough with it. It will work, though.
    Search for posts by Slag...I think he scanned and presented a bunch of pics from a book by the Metalflake Co. that showed all different kinds of paint techniques like that, scales, blowdots, fans, "crazed" finishes, etc.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

14. SixFive

SixFive

Hey Gooz.
    The boulevardo is down, but when its back up i can do you a little step by step.
    That's how i did my "Cinnamon Donut" and the fans on my Val. but i use tape and just a regular gravity gun, low pressure you can get some very fine fades.
    oh,and i used candy color over the flake, rather than black fades with candy color over that.

15. dubie

dubie

doing fades like this is easy. Hold a straight edge shield up against the surface and spray against it

16. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Gooz, When you get ready to do this. Do the fineline tape surround that is not painted with the green candy first to get your boarder. Then mask off the panel leaving only the center to be "fanned". Then take and mark on the tape where the end points of the fan should be and what I do it hold some string on the "point" and then by using the longest line as my guide I make sure to mark it so that each line would have the same gap if it were done in a perfect circle. Next thing is to paint the lines. You can use a "touch-up" gun or an airbrush. If you use one of those small touch-up guns make sure you set it so you have a low pressure and little paint then mix the paint 50/50 with clear. If you use an Airbrush you can do it mixed like 80 paint/20 clear because of the better paint control. If you use the touch-up gun point the tip at your "board" to make the overspray as little as possible. If you use an Airbrush you can point it at the panel. With either paint gun I suggest a few test runs on something to the the feel for the pattern of the gun. Once you have the "fan" lines done spray one or 2 coats of the candy inside the edge of the panel, then remove the masking and leave the thin line and do one or 2 more coats of the candy to get that darker fade inside the tape and the lighter on the outside. Last step is the clear on the whole roof. Hope that helps.

17. That's what the shirt stock cardboard is for. You could mask it but probably a piece of cardboard was just held against the panel and the airbrish was then sprayed along the edge of it.

The candy paint could have been sprayed with just a thin piece of masking tape aroung the edge of the trapizoid ( 1/8" tape) in one pass but it takes someone with a steady hand.

18. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

u dont even need cardboard or card stock. it can be done with a piece of computer paper. its not a big deal. its basic and if ur airbrushing for the first time. u can easily do it. to make it look pro, u need to have your paint reduced properly. i use house of kolor primarily for airbrushing. u want it so that when u do fades its not super grainy. it makes it look amateur. for black a good rule of thumb is double the reducer mix. when u airbrush the fade, make sure u spray away from the paper. if u spray into the paper u can get a dark spot on the fade area and will have to go darker and farther to fix it. and too much black can kill the effect. i personally like to do a black candy mix. part black, part purple and blue candy and intercoat clear. but thats all preference.

19. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Follow up to my old question...

do you use automotive paint/clears in the air-brush gun?

my freind let my borrow his airbrush kit and it comes with a bunch of different paint colors. but it think these are for t-shirt painting and stuff.

so should I just mix up a tiny amount of auto paint + autoclear/candy??

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Gooz,

Yes, automotive paint is used together with clears, but you won't get flake or heavy metalic thru an air brush tip. Some guys have gone to the "Treehugger Kool-Aid'' (waterborne paint material) and like it as it covers well, and is easy to handle. Me, I wouldn't have the shit as a gift! Solvent based material works great, and has for decades. Just over reduce it a tad for better flow, and control over your design. Once you figger this out, it's really not that tough. Layout can be a bit insane on big multi colour design jobs, but it usually all comes together once you pull the tape and masks.

Good luck,

" The ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

21. Eryk

Eryk

Fuckin gooz. Not sure why you never ask this shit on our own board? Haha. We have a few VERY talented painters on there who probably could have done a video tutorial for you.

Airbrush shmarebrush! Use a regular gun. Lower your pressure, make your fan smaller. Or use a touchup gun.

Ask Alex or Edog.

22. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

using a fullsize gun will not get as clean of a fade as an airbrush. i would do that with an airbrush.