Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How do you choose an engine for a custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Sep 5, 2020.

1. If I were going to build it, I would find a 351W and M5OD out of a 2wd F-150. Swap the EFI for a four barrel carb and Edelbrock intake, use your choice of carb, I like both the Edelbrock and Holley. The M5OD uses a hydraulic clutch with an adaptable master cylinder. Those 351’s pulled F-250’s around, so it would do a fine job in an Edsel. The Rock has a great selection of clutch parts including complete clutch hydraulic systems.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ekimneirbo and JeffB2 like this.
  2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s what I am putting in mamas 55. I bought a 5.0 out of a 2000 Exploder. I bought the motor, tranny and rear end. For all practical purposes, it will drive like a 2000 exploder with a cam.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have had 302 and 351 equipped cars and pickups. The 302 got 20MPG or more, the 351 12 - 15. If you are on a budget it makes a difference. To me the extra power is not worth it for a daily driver.
    The original 430 was lucky to get into double digits. The 361 probably similar to a 351 or less.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You mentioned that you want to run a manual transmission. The question is how much do you want to spend to have one? Do you want something strong enough to take major torque or will you be happy with just decent torque? Trying to convert to a manual can be expensive in and of itself, especially with "nostalgic" Ford FE engines. Nothing short of a 428 is gonna be impressive. Probably better off looking for a late model Ford of some type with a 5 speed already attached. Good power,good mileage and an overdrive manual trans to boot. Not Hamb friendly but enjoyable to drive.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The 5.0 and AOD would be an easy enough swap but given the size of the Edsel a later Ford 5.8 aka 351W with an AOD might be a good choice that .67 overdrive makes for some nice highway cruising.

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You really need to say what is "most important" to you. You can't have awesome power or even very high power and expect to get really good economy too. That being said you should also consider whether you want the finished engine to be able to run on regular or premium gas. Doesn't do much good to build/buy an engine that requires premium ($$$) even if you get decent gas mileage. I'm not suggesting you consider this. I'm going to build a 500 Cad with a 9.5 compression and hook it to a 6speed manual trans. I'll be able to run regular and still have a fair amount of hp, and the low rpms in 6th gear should provide reasonable mileage. That said, you might think about doing something similar with a large Ford of some kind. A 351 or maybe a 460.

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The easiest route is to use the same series engine as the original. Throw in a cam that’s appropriate for the intended usage and add a good carb, intake and ignition. Putting in a different series engine means potential compatibility issues with the exhaust, radiator, wiring, trans mount location, driveshaft length, etc... I’ve been involved in a few projects that have snowballed quickly, it’s doable but takes a lot more time and effort...

ekimneirbo likes this.
  9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Unwritten rule I guess is you don’t open the hood on a custom so nobody cares

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  10. There's an old saying that seems to apply here...

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick two

Flynn's_57 and ekimneirbo like this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

What you said is absolutely true. The question is how much performance does the op want or expect. No matter what he does, the engine of choice (within reason) is going to have similar costs for performance parts. Buying a cam and some roller rockers, an aluminum intake, distributor, carb, headers, etc. are gonna be similar whether its a 352 or a 351 or 460.
    The difference in cost will probably be in acquiring an engine.....but then that gets offset by selling the old engine.

Most well done engine swaps are going to hit the wallet hard, but trying to upgrade an engine that has very little potential is kinda like throwing money away too.

As you said, finding an engine in the same series is the easiest way and the conversion money can be spent on a more desirable version. The problem is that most of the really desirable engines in that series command really high prices.
    Its really just a matter of how much money one has to work with.

12. Put a SBC in it and sell it and buy a 49 to 54 Ford or Merc to customize.

13. Put a late model engine in it like a 69-71 Lincoln Mark. 111
    460/365 hp. with the C6 trans.
    and You will fly with it in there.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

14. A Boner

A Boner

If in doubt, stuff a Hemi in it!