Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you channel a body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the channel framing on my 33 plymouth

[​IMG]

After the sheetmetal

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've never done this but saw an article in an old rod mag that went something like this.. To channel a model A they; Took the body off the frame, drilled down the top mounting holes through the bottom of the frame.. Took firewall out.. Drilled rivets out and removed rear and center cross members.. Pinched rear of frame to slide through firewall opening on top of cross members and bolted to new holes in the frame now on top of cross members.. Bolt center and rear frame sections back in place and the channel is sort of Done.. I think you would also have to remove toe board sections..

Buickresto ss likes this.
  3. IFABSTUFF

IFABSTUFF

best way to do it. "Z" the frame. Head room is not over-rated. However putting in a new section is not entry level. Be sure your welding/fabrication skills are up to par or have a buddy who is skilled help you with it.

4. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the pictures! I looks like it came out really good!

5. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

How do you channel the rear of the car the frame sticks out past the body?

Attached Files:

6. Joe,
    I hacked off 7" on the rear of my frame and moved it ahead slightly. If you plan on using the rear frame mount gas tank you will run into problems. You may have to install a tank in the trunk.

7. joey62

joey62
    from denison tx

that was very helpfull

8. roccodart440

roccodart440
    from Upstate NY

If you look where the front of the body goes over the frame. The firewall corner if you will, my frame is too wide there. The body won't clear it. What is a good solution to this issue? Narrow the frame? I want to go with a raked channel, maybe (approx) 2" in the back and about 6 in the front. Just enough so you don't see the frame.

I re-posted a previous pic of Steve's car

Attached Files: