Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do YOU bleed brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 4woody

4woody

My Speed Bleeders always leak fluid around the threads. Maybe I open them too far.

2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Me & my dad have a nice little system. When he yells ready i hit the pedal untill pressed then yell up, when he cracks the bleeder and the pedal goes to the floor i yell down, i hold it there till he re-closes it and says ready.
    Repeat.

3. cooger

cooger

parachute?
    boat anchor?

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

that's a common issue. Some put Teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads to minimize the problem.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I have my wife pump the brakes while I lay under the car crackin' the bleeder's...it ain't rocket science...

6. budd

budd

i helped a british guy bleed his brakes one time, he used a short clear hose going into a glass bottle with about one inch of brake fluid, he opened up the bleed screw and all i did was pump the brakes, and kept an eye on the master fluid level, when you let off the pedal instead of sucking air it sucked up brake fluid, worked like a charm.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a reason a professional (correct) brake bleeder is not cheap, and it's because the fluid is isolated from air and pressurized by a bladder, not directly by air. Using the cheap bug/garden sprayer to force brake fluid into the master does exactly what you don't want to do-force air (moisture) into the fluid. You've basically lowered the wet/dry boiling point immediately. Either buy/borrow a pressure bladder, or bleed the way most do, by pedal. Why is it that anything brake related is so mis-understood and HAS to be done as cheap as possible, when it's one of the most important system on the car :confused:

8. oj

oj

I've got all the fancy snapon stuff. It collects dust. What works best is an overflow jug i cut the top off and have a hose going from the valve at the bottom to the bleeder. I put about a half pint of fluid in the jug and open the bleeder and valve. I go to the master cyl and operate the brake pedal by hand, it pushes air and fluid up into the jug and pulls fluid back when the pedal returns. I have the jug mounted on a stand and it is above the bleeder. After a few strokes i close the bleeder and valve and move it to another corner. You still have to add fluid to the master cyl to replace the air.
    I been doing like this by myself for many years.