Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do they keep it so clean?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LedSled97, Jun 29, 2018.

1. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Am I the only one who notices how clean shops look on tv?.. I can’t even go one days worth of work without my shop being covered in metal shavings, paint dust, and every extension chord and air hose strewn about. I guess they hide the dirt the same way they hide how long it actually takes to finish a well done car.

2. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

They have a staff of people who clean them ...

3. my shop is a mess
    however, I was paid to keep the shop clean at work

that must be the difference

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a 'staff' of guys my brother knew that would clean my shop at night. For a while...then I started noticing 'brown resin' in the jaws of medical tools I used for small carburetor/ignition ops. (then onto 'discovery' of various missing small tools, all related, kept in a small cabinet in my clean room) My desk had also been 'relieved' of 3 classic switchblades, some .45 rounds, but NOT my .45. It was with me, as usual.
    The following day, I towed "little bro's" project to his house, with all HIS stuff stacked in its Model A pickup bed. He and his dope-smoking 'staff' were DIS-MISSED.

5. Fordors

Fordors

A lot of shops have the luxury of lots of room. A dedicated area for welding, maybe one for grinding and the like, sheet metal fabrication, body work, paint booth, assembly and more go a long way to keeping things clean, put away and organized.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you can let your shop get messy, or you can keep it neat and clean. It's up to you.

I don't know how they do it on TV, but I bet it's fake.

7. yes
    they use technology to erase all the dirty for TV
    its a CGI custodian

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

No matter how hard I try to stay neat and tidy I end up exploding all over the place. Have always done, and will probably always do.
    Every once in awhile I just have to make time to put things away and tidy up.

mrfliboy and loudbang like this.
  9. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Had the same thing happen to my grandfather at his shop. A couple hired to clean slowly made off with tons of snap on tools and other items and they even set up a meth lab behind his shop while he was gone on a long vacation

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have ever seen the show with Foose on it at the end there are about 40 people gathered around at the unveil. I can guarantee you somewhere in that crowd is the guy whose full time job it was to pick up all the other peoples shit!

In my shop, there's just me so it gets cleaned when I have the time and inclination.

11. I was always a neat freak at every shop I worked at
    Everything set up a certain way in my bay everything cleaned up and put away at the end of the day.
    Even now in my service van, everything has a place and that’s where is belongs or I loose my shit.

My home garage....... is a fucking disgrace !!
    No matter how many shelves, benches and hooks I put up, everything is every ware, no matter how much I sell or throw out, I still have too much stuff.

I just don’t get it.

And as far as tv shops..... you can’t make any real mess when you do s full frame off resto in 10 days.:D

12. I always keep my shop floor clean with the back of my head.. por15head.jpg

13. It's called "reality TV" but that don't make it real.

dana barlow, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

If mine was clean I’d never be able to find anything.

56don, VANDENPLAS and partsdawg like this.
  15. 392

How.....green backs. Myself.....bad back

Bleach and loudbang like this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It's all done with smoke and mirrors and cleaned by underlings whose sole purpose in life is to make it safe for those presenters and cameras to move around.
    I was the apprentice for years in big workshops and part of my job was to clean the floor daily including picking up after the tradies and putting away the tools.
    It doesn't take long for a real workshop, where actual work is undertaken, to get dirty. ;)

17. robracer1

robracer1

At home mine stays neat and clean always, but my yard and house is a mess. I guess you have to set your priorities DSC01413.JPG

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I spent a lot of time building shelves and cabinets, and organizing my tool boxes. I try to be sure I put the tools back in the proper tool drawer, yet I have to spend time every couple of weeks just cleaning and putting things away. My old partner was and still is anal about organization as well as cleaning up daily, but it seemed he was always asking to borrow something from me cause he did not carry it. My
    truck boxes might be messy but I could tell him look in the second bucket from the right, should be
    in there, and it would be. As far as for the tv shops, when I was in high school I worked for a local garage that did general repairs. The owner did own the land, build the building and lived in the house
    next door. The shop and grounds were kept neat and clean, the curbs painted twice a year, the fence at least once a year etc. It can be done if the top management requires it.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A clean shop.
    Had a dream once about that scenario.
    Dreams are never reality.

bobbytnm likes this.
  20. oldolds

oldolds

In a one or two man shop, a clean shop isn't making money. If you have 4 or more techs you need to have a clean up guy, a shop foreman/service writer, and office staff. A good paid tech uses the last half hour or so to clean his space on the bosses dime. The bigger shop has a few extra hands that need to keep busy.

warbird1 and Deuces like this.
  21. I don't know how a TV show sets it up to get done, but one thing for certain I can tell you is that if nobody does it it won't get done.

Another thing I can tell you for certain, if you have a guy capable of producing revenew and increasing the done pile it doesn't make much sense to have him cleaning up.

One more thing I can tell you, if it's a one man shop there's only one guy responsible for production, creating messes, cleaning up messes, eliminating messes, and everything else including a decent restroom.

Atwater Mike and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are neat freaks and us normal people. Bob

2bubbas, tb33anda3rd and Irish Mike like this.
  23. My shop is pretty good right now since I'm not building anything. I even have time to work on my yard and pool. I worked in a R & D machine shop for about 5 years, the place was immaculate with linoleum tile floors and nice work benches. Everyone had a bench. A crew came in after we left, cleaned everything unless we put a tag on a machine saying not to clean it. Machines with brass or copper chips were VERY clean the next day.

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Things around here tend to degrade until I start tripping over obstacles and misplacing tools. Then the cleanup happens, only to degrade again and repeat the cycle.

2bubbas, nunattax, Irish Mike and 3 others like this.
  25. X-cpe

X-cpe

My problem is first I need this , then I need that, then something else but I'm going to need this and that again. Pretty soon all I'm looking for is space on the work bench to work.

Atwater Mike and bobbytnm like this.
  26. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

I’m so proud to be one of the 99%. I was just about to admit that my wife might be right , that I was a pig

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid likes this.
  27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Depends on what I’m working on , guts of a carb , engine , trans , axle my shop is clean as an operating room , normal brake , suspension , fab work it’s a disaster in progress . One thing I always do no mattter what clean and put the tools where the go before shutting down the compressor , and blowing out the wick .

28. I always clean up right before I start another job.:)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. That is not a "shop". That is a living room or bedroom. Well, actually, its cleaner than either one in my house...

The37Kid and dana barlow like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if the TV show credits list the suppliers who decorated or supplied equipment, just like the wardrobe credits after your favorite newscast?