Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do i wire a GM 3 wire alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedRacer2002, Sep 30, 2004.

1. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Don't you mean you and your alternator will be energized the whole time at the overlook?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. The glowing red light is sexy mood lighting....

That's how the factories wired them.

snowroutes likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have owned about 24 vehicles. My family has had about the same amount. I have worked on several hundred in my own shop, and several hundred more in the shops and dealerships that I have worked in.

In the case of every vehicle that had a GEN/ALT/BATT light, and a dedicated ACC key position, I do not recall a single one where that light was illuminated in the ACC position, just the ON position, when the engine was off, or there was something broken or defective.

garyf likes this.
  5. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The wire from the bulb should go to #1 terminal on the alt NOT #2. Look at the diagram posted.

6. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

great thread guys !! coming home from a car my alternator disposed itself internally, it was dark and scaary ,, noo farm house for miles... a couple in thier 20's stopped we swapped batteries ,, by good luck and good management made it the hours drive home ... they wanted nothing more than to know id stop to help the next broken down i came across-- that was cool !!..

so im chucking a GM style 3 wire in the Stude, knowing very little.. 20190727_131121.jpg my 3 wires do nothing to the charging... till i found this thread ,, off to my version of Radioshack shortly ,, very excited !!

7. I installed a new harness in my car, so the alternator wiring was neatly spelled out for me. Wise to go with the 3-wire type, I see too may guys go 1-wire and have trouble with it.

8. Not sure on your Lark, but on my girls '60 it had a generator and regulator. When I went to a GM 10SI, you have to wire around the old generator regulator if your going to use the stock harness. If not it won't charge (no power or field wire).

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My SI Alt is from a Diesel , used on my diesel and has a tach terminal that is feed from stator voltage . It works wonderful also . Mine is wired as stated , a short loop to the Battery Term , not one low charge issue

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I never noticed the date of this post. I have been clicking the "like" button...This is why these posts stay around. Very informative HAMB members.

I do not feel sheepish...

11. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

thanks yup thats what ive done.. car came running an alternator, so have the main bat feed, jumped number"2"back to the battery main cable then added a "1N4001 Diode" .

great then the smoke appeared from the now fried diode.. so back to the drawing board
    .. not to sure where to head....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019