Register now to get rid of these ads!

~~ How do I test my fuel sender / fuel gauge - 1964 Buick Riviera ~~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tall Paul, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Since I've had my rivi somethings up with this circuit and I'm not sure what. What's the best way to diagnose this circuit?

How can I test the fuel sender and the fuel gauge without ripping them out of the car completely and bench testing them?

Fuel sender works on resitance right? Can i measure the resistnace of it with a meter to tell if it is good/bad? If so, anyone know what it should read?

How about checking if the fuel gauge is working? If i disconnect the wire running from front of car to the sender unit the gauge should read empty, if i short that wire to ground should the gauge read full?

any help would be mucho appreciated a I'm sick of having to note miles and gallons filled up etc.

Cheers,
    Paul.

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

you can bench test the sender with a OHM meter.
    I forget what 64 GM's are 0-30 or 0-90
    steady needle is key.
    Aint that hard to pull out.
    Cleaning sometimes (electro-spray) will sometimes fix it.
    And I never put the sock back on.

Gauges rarely fail,sender 99% of the time.
    hope that helps.

3. troylee

troylee

I ground the sender wire and it should make the guage go to full. Try to eliminate the wire and guage from being inop.

4. troylee

troylee

And check the tank ground. good luck

5. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I would like to get in on this discussion.

I have a new guage and a new tank and sender. I put a little gas in it and it shows wayyyy over full.

Ground. I do have mine bolted down and should be grounded there. Right or wrong?

6. will give it a go, thanks guys.

7. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

a 64 should be 0 to 66 ohms, 0 being empty i think. first off what is happening when you power up your car, is the gauge going to full or empty? if its going to full or way beyond, you have an open circuit, if it shoots to empty you have a dead short. if it doesnt move at all your gauge might be cooked. the sending unit consists of a coil which changes resistance as the arm on the unit moves across it. dirty stuff or defective coil could also render the sender useless. try grounding the tank and determining that the wire going to the gauge is good. aslo check the gauge and compare the readings