Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do I shorten a steering rack????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mixedupamx, Sep 17, 2011.

1. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I know I've seen it on here before but damned if I can find it now. How does a guy go about shortening a pinto manual steering rack:confused:

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

depends how much you need to go I guess. I did one a while back, but I just cut the outer rods down and re threaded them as needed. anything more than that you'll have to ask someone more knowlegable that I.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Fairly simple, once you determine how wide you require it, you cut down the housing itself to the desired width and then cut down the rack shaft itself by machining down the opposite end to where the teeth are machined. When reassembled the input shaft will still mesh with the rack shaft and still give OEM lock to lock. Easier to do it this way and only machine the end where the racks end connects, this end isn't heat treated as opposed to the other end where the input shaft meshes.