Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I ship a car cheap(est)?Az to Chi.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alfredfromchicago, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I dream of shipping an old car or truck from arizona to Chicago. Any economical ideas' thoughts, or solutions? I'm now looking at a 49 mack jr truck, just like a small duelly truck. Can I have it stuffed in a box or do I have to have it towed or trailored? Im looking to do so on the cheap. Any suggestions would be appreciated! If it would work ,I'll shop the west coast next!Thanks.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Contact BenD here on the HAMB. He might be able to help you out, or possibly point you to someone else who can. Have heard a ton of things about him and his transport, and all of them have been good.

4. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Google "auto transport"; you will have transport brokers that will give you 10 quotes by tomorrow. Do a bunch of them and pick the one you like, I went with the cheapest, and twice went with A-1 auto transport. I had a chevy pickup hauled from texas to ny state, parked in my yard in a week and a half, $600, it ran and moved. Prepare to pay more if it doesn't run, make sure it pushes easy and rolls. Also prepare to have it moved fast once you give the broker the go ahead. A-1 requires a deposit then you give the balance to the driver on delivery. The truckers have computers on board and if they are close they will pick it up fast if they are in the area. Also bought a Divco milk truck this way; it was oversize and it took a long time to get someone who could take it, but they hauled it from Phoenix to upstate NY for $900.

Good luck, hope this helps:D

gaspumpchas:D

Serving all of your Eco air meter needs since 1992....;.

5. caceo

caceo

Alfred,
    Got the same problem over here on the West Coast. I am bringing a car down from north of Seattle to California. I had a reply from a great guy (HAMB'r) who might be able to do it for me... if you like, I can forward his details to you. I was also contacted by another HAMB'r who wanted a car brought his car so, who knows???
    let me know....and good luck guy!
    Good responsible transporters are a rare breed apparently...

6. Good responsible transporters are a rare breed apparently...[/quote]
    I'd imagine they are and I mean no disrespect, but i'm not looking to move a showcar, just some old weatherd steel....In fact this one rolls with no motor.

7. I'm investigating a possible roller, would be NH to Chicago transport.

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Too bad you guys didn't let me know all this before Christmas! I was out of school (I'm a teacher) for over 2 weeks and was looking to do some sort of transporting for some extra bucks.

I know this doesn't help now... but damn...

9. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

phoenix was full of car haulers that were here for all the auctions this last week. maybe you can still catch one.

10. caceo

caceo

Alfred,
    I hear ya... mine is just a old hunk of rusty steel (at this point) as well....but transporters out this way are like trying to find a mint '32 roadster in a barn...

11. try truly vintage trailer.he is on here

12. drfreeze

drfreeze

13. Be carefull with the cheap part. Better to use a transport company with their own trucks than a broker who will be cheap, but shop the shipping. The brokers yell you how long it will take but they don't have control since they look for independents. I've heard of lot's of problems with cheap shippers.

14. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

uship is good. Shipped 2 jeeps different times from Southern California to IL with enclosed transport for $700 ea

15. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Tim Miller email <[email protected]> Phone (810) 955-7369 Twice a month? goes to CA from MI. Has enclosed Haulmark trailer. Very reasonalble and professional. Shipped a 47 jeep for me for $700 from San Fran CA to IL.

16. NinpoFox

NinpoFox
    from Ohio

I've used Uship.com multiple times and have never been disappointed with the price or the service.

17. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I used Uship and had good luck with the best price.

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I spoke with Alfred about his haul but wanted to post as some of the newer members may not realize there are Hamb Members that do transport full time. You can find us listed in the Hamb-O'Dex or in the Misc. for sale section typically. If I personally can't help out I usually refer to members "Trulyvintage" or "Marcy" as we all help each other out if possible.

We may not be the cheapest out there but we are car people, we know how to handle vintage iron and we appreciate it for what it is. This is something that not all haulers can say and you get the benefit of knowing your new ride is being handled by someone that has a real interest in the vehicle and not just the paycheck. You can't put enough value on personalized service in my opinion.

Thanks,
    BenD

19. chopo

chopo

20. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Load it up with illegal aliens, give 'em $10.00 each and gas money....

21. Squatch

Squatch

Amen... I have shipped 4 cars this way...

22. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

hey, where at in arizona is the vehicle? Im goin up with a 45ft flatbed to iowa from flagstaff to get my stuff. I live only about 5 hours from Chicago. Id be interested in shippin it for you.

23. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

I say have a private party with a trailer haul it over there for you. I had a guy bring up a tr-6 from la to sac for $200