Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do i reseat piston rings in the car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

The '64 283 in my daily i belive wont reseat a ring in one cylinder before i got the motor it had set just shy of 10 years in the back of a garage with 30k on a rebuild

I cant really do a full teardown because it in my only transport, but at the same time i keep loading up that plug so...

any tricks?

could it be soaked in kerosene overnight?? ...and oil replaced afterwords

2. RAY With

RAY With

Try the marvel mystery oil for a couple of days and if it dont work go to Schaler rislone in the cylinder for a day or so.

3. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

i have herd of an old trick uising bon-ami powder spap( like comet) dump a spoof full down the carb while the engin is running but i have never done it before sounds risky to me

4. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Could be a leak along the lower intake gaskets ,check for loose intake bolts .
    a bad guide that can be checked
    by a screw driver wedged between the retainer and rocker ,a little wiggle of the screw driver will make the stem feel sloppy.
    it could be a broken ring from surface rust in one cylinder that was exposed to water or just humid conditions what that means is the bore could be hurt. no hone no ring no easy fix .if its a driver just spend a grand for a rebuilder and change the engine after work one afternoon .

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats sounds pretty rough on bearings:eek:

pun intended

bring that piston up to close to TDC..pour in some MMO and let it set over night..if it dont do it the first try try it a few more times..try to get as much around the top of the piston as possible

or use trans fluid and kerosene mix 50/50

if that fails..try spraying water into the carb (spritzer bottle..go steal mommas plant watering sprayer) while engine is warm and running..just enough it dont kill the engine , but good enough that it cleans the bores and pistons and keeps running..keep engine at a high idle..like 1000 or 1200..so it dont bog down..if that dont do it..at least your combustion chambers will be nice and clean

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  6. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

One ring is probbly stuck from sitting - I ALWAYS go right to the rislone - it disolves the carbon that is probably sticking the ring - or the engine was parked due the oil issue in the first place and it will need more work to fix.

7. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

The last time i herd of bon ami was in the ghost and mister chicken ,it wouldnt even clean the keys on the organ in the haunted house .
    nothing like a abrasive dumped in an engine .:rolleyes:

8. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I would'nt even invest in any of the snake oils . a dead hole is a dead hole . even if you can get some oil reduction the engine is running out of balance ,i see a rod bearing on that rod or the opisite side coming apart soon after .:)

9. alleyoop392

alleyoop392

I tried the bonami deal in an old flathead 6 willys jeep motor that was smoking real bad, and I had nothin' to loose. The only thing it did was make a mess of the carb.
    I guess that one's "busted"

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

bonami is abrasive right?? that's no good

Rislone?? what's that

I pulled half of the motor apart and there was no moisture in the bore but i guess i probably need to run a compression test to be sure it's a ring

11. overkillphil

overkillphil

I've used atf-acetone 50-50 (about an ounce) down the bad hole, turn the engine over by hand a couple times, and let sit over night. I fire it up the next day, it smokes like holy hell, but clears and good to go. If that doesn't work, not much else will.

12. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rislone oil addative

http://www.barsproducts.com/10015.htm

GM EOS -- engine oil supplement is another good stuck ring and lifter loostener.

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance/809/88862586/10002/-1

I've used both with good results--not always "instant" results, but they do what they say as far as cleaning and freeing up stuck engine parts like lifters and rings. They both clean out the gunk in engines that have sat for a long time.

As far as reseating rings that have not sealed-- you have to take it apart and rehone the cylinder and possibly replace the rings.

13. There are anti-fouling adapters available for spark plugs.

Any real parts house counter guy should be able to get one out of stock for you.

Do not pour an abrasive into the engine.

I'd try the Marvel Mystery Oil or Rislone, install the anti-fouling device and simply drive it.

I had a cracked block in my 50 Ford sedan back in the day.
    Let it sit for a couple of months, talked to dad, got some K&W Block Seal, poured it into the radiator and started driving.

It ran ok and the ring in one cylinder came unstuck during a 5000 rpm run in low gear.

The crack wasn't all that bad and I drove it for a couple more years with no other changes.

14. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I would never pour anything down the carb into the entire engine. Yank the plug on the bad cylinder, squirt in some kind of penetrating oil like PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple days with with occasional engine rotation by hand and re-sprays. Then put the plug back in. Maybe try a recessed tip plug also for that cylinder. To be honest, chances of fixing it this way are slim, but there is still a chance before the heavy labor and dis-assembly.

15. BigChief

BigChief

Go to your local Mercury Marine dealer and buy a spray can of "Power Tune". Old Mercury outboards were made with square cut piston rings that tended to stick/foul when leaded gasoline was phased out. Newer motors have keystone cut rings that are self cleaning. Power Tune was designed specifically to clean the rings on the older motors due to carbon/oil fouling. Warm up the motor then shut if off. Bring the questionable cylinder up to TDC, pull the plug and spray the crap out of it (1/4 of the can). Leave it sit over night. The next morning roll the motor over to push any excess fluid out of the cylinder (avoids hydro-locking the motor), replace the plug and get the motor started and warmed up. Bring the motor off idle (1500-2000RPM) and blast the balance of the can into the carb. Drop the hood and go run the car hard.

If the ring is stuck due to oil/carbon fouling it should be fixed/improved. If your rings are still stuck its most likely corrosion between the ring(s) and piston ring lands and there's nothing you can do for that except pull the motor down and fix it.

-Bigchief.

16. We had a fresh Porsche motor that just wouldn't seat the rings. We brought it up to about 2500 rpm and poured Ajax down the throats of the Weber carbs, one cylinder at a time. Although it is abrasive, it is also thick enough that it won't really seep past the rings much and what did would go into the sump and then get filtered. After about 20 minutes of this the rings seated and we were good to go. We changed the oil and filter and that motor did 30,ooo miles before we sold it. No problems.
    Now this was on a new motor, not sure if it would be the best plan for a Stuck ring. I think that's a candidate for Marvel Mystery Oil to free it up.

17. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

sure its not a valve stem seal? you can do those in car.
    just my .02

18. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

GM Top engine cleaner, That stuff will clean out any carbon

19. If it's a ring issue a liter of ATF in the oil and a hard highway drive, then an oil change flushing with a little extra oil is a simple way to tell you if you're in for deeper work or not. If you do a leak down test and you are certain it's not valve related, and the ATF test doesn't clear up your issue you may be doing a ring job.

20. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Shaggy, this all sounds like good advice - EXCEPT for the abrasives! If it is a stuck ring several of the ideas acn and do sometimes work. Also the vavle stem seal is a possiblilty worth looking at. If it a broken or corroded ring or bad guide, then proper repair is the only thing that will work. or you can do what I did with my 283 in a very similar situation - carry the right wrench and spare plugs.

21. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Shaggy - I am in Duvall - not that far away. If you want to do a leakdown test i do have the tools, PM me if you are interested.

22. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

I agree with Jagfxr1949, I would do a leak down test on the cylinder. It could be the rings became unseated, or you might have burned up exhaust valve. If its the rings just squirt some ATF Trans fluid thru the spark plug hole. The ATF is gritty enough not to damage the cylinder walls.

23. A comment on the Bon Ami trick. A few years back, I was re-ringing one of my engines, and the owner of a local machine shop, told me that I could help seat the rings faster by using a mixture of Bon Ami and oil on the bores, and turn the engine over manually while on the stand. Can't remember how many times he suggested, as I didn't try it at the time. You had to clean up the mixture and residue, then complete the assembly of the engine. I'm also thinking it was for cast iron rings, not the moly ones.

24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

25. Big Dad

Big Dad

10 years ?? The motor needs to come apart , I've seen bearing pitted to death in way less time after sitting ..one problem will lead to another

(two cents)

26. The Bon Ami thing used to be part of the Caterpillar service procedure for engines that would seat the rings. I've been told that definitly works, but that it also shortens the service life of the engine. I don't think I'd try it except for fun or if I know I'd be rebuilding soon in a few years.

What about an intakr guide seal cracking?

27. Also thise engines had small oil drain back holes in the heads that would plug up with slidge or debries, I have even found the plastic gaskets from under the oil botle caps in them. the oil puddles up in your valve cover and goes down the valve guides. NPC is an expert at clearing them with a shop vac.

28. You guys must be to young to remember that even the factories recommended using Bon Ami to seal rings if they never seated, way back in the day. I believe you put a teaspoon in the offending cylinder/cylinders. I have heard people used it and it worked. I have never had a problem to try it but if I had an offending cylinder, why not. I would check with a wet and dry cylinder check, then use compressed air with both valves closed to see if you have a bad valve and then I'd replace the seal just because and then............. BON AMI!!!!

29. #%%# No shit !! Don't try to dump a bunch of shit in to fix it. Just tear it down and do it right. I can't tell you how many of these deals go wrong and end up in the scrap pile >>>>.

30. lewislynn

lewislynn

I had a 350 (same thing only different) that was fouling one plug. It turned out to be one not so tight intake manifold bolt...that's all.

I was already shopping for short blocks when I found it too.