Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I remove the tail panel on my 35 5W so it can be reinstalled?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I've seen a few posts where the complete tail panel is removed for repair and reinstalled. Can someone direct me on where its best to cut and how they did it? Pics would be great.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has to be cut out, IMO. I bought a replacement panel, cut the old one out and welded the replacement in. Trying to fix the old one and reinstall it would be very difficult.

There's a couple of build threads that show the process.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^Where did you buy that panel and how much was it?^^^^^^^^^

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I have the EMS patch. I want to cut up way higher near the trunk at factory seam. The rumble seat bracket is blocking that area. I dont want to cut it wrong.

6. If you check my build thread, it shows where and how I cut the rear panel off our '38 Ford cabriolet. It's going to be a similar idea to what you're up against. The attached link will get you to the build thread, but you'll need to go back through it to find the relevent photos/section because I'm computer challenged when it comes to the HAMB and my phone.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/13889164/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  7. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Great work you're doing on your car. Your skills are to be envied.

8. Thanks.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I used an EMS panel that was large enough to go to the trunk opening. So I cut out everything up to the opening, and drilled out the spot welds along the lip to remove it.
    If I was doing the OP"s removal, I'd do the same thing and drill out the spot welds inside the trunk lip, so the reinstall would be tack welds at the original spot welds. Then cut it straight over to the body line down each side, and follow the body lines about 1/2" off the lines. Then when replacing it the body line will keep it's shape easier, and be stiffer metal to keep it all in place while tacking it back in.
    Mine isn't the same car, but I'd do it similarly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]