Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I remove a Caddy transmission from the engine block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, May 1, 2011.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I did a search with no luck. I removed the engine/trans out of a parts car but I'm not sure how to get them apart. I've removed only the bolts on the bellhousing so far. Now what?

Thanks for any info

2. 562roadster

562roadster

What year caddy engine?

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Take out the bolts from the flywheel. unbolt and rotate

4. F&J

F&J

Old Caddy? Take off the lower bell, then get a large drain tray. Take off all the bolts on the outer edge of what looks like a torque convertor. Lots of oil will pour out.

Then it will separate.

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

thanks fellas. I guess I didn't realize that plate would have to come off. It's a '55 btw.

6. bowtie40

bowtie40

Oh yeah...

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Before taking the 30 bolts off the flywheel to torus cover, find the drain plug on the torus cover. This should be a 1/8" pipe plug. You can drain the torus by removing the plug. This will get most of the transmission fluid out of there. Then start taking the 30 bolts off, pull the transmission back at least 2 inches then should be able to get it out. (The transmission has a pilot shaft similar to a manual transmission input shaft. You need to pull the trans far enough to disengage the shaft from the pilot bearing in the crank.

8. grease4life

grease4life

I unbolted everything and rotated while using a pry bar and no luck. After 20 mins, I just said screw it and gave the buyer of my engine the trans for free.