Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I rebalance my Buick 300 if I replace the crank pulley/harmonic balancer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjason, Feb 2, 2010.

1. rjason

rjason

I am planning to replace the crank pulley/balancer on my daily driver '64 Buick LeSabre with the factory 300. I believe it is externally balanced because I can see where it was drilled and has billet weights inserted on the balancer itself.

My question is, how do I bring the engine back into balance if I replace the original assembly with another stock assembly? Can a machine shop match the replacement to the original if I bring both to them?

Like I said, this is my everyday means of transportation, so down time needs to be kept to a minimum.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

It's probably like the SBC 400 and they are all balanced (+ or -) the same, a factory replacement should just be a bolt on, no additional work. I have a 340 in a 67 GS California and never gave it much of a thought about the engine balance (internal or external) you might want to check out some Buick only sites too just to confirm my guess! Great little motor though!

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The same on off another engine should be fine . As long as it's the same engine and year , it should be fine . Why don't you just have your's rebuilt ?

RetroJim

4. fms427

fms427

Second what they said..........should be OK

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

JASON...when you replace 1 factory part with another factory part. their already balanced...POP.

6. rjason

rjason

Thanks everyone. I am going to buy the replacement based on your help.
    Rebuilding was my first thought, but I found one already freshly rebuilt for $70, so I figured I probably couldn't get my done for much less than that. Plus, this way it will be a quick swap and no down time! A big plus for me until I can get my old Chrysler ready for the road.

Thanks again everyone.

7. I just hauled a '64 to the junk yard. I'd have pulled it off and sent it to you for shipping. Let me know if you need it, I'll go get it, they get about $15 for one.

8. are you changing it because of ???