Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I put a 302 in a 52 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Jun 8, 2008.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Hey, im working on this 52 victoria and I decided to put a 302 in it cause I happened to have one in a granada I bought a few years ago for a derb car but didnt use. I pulled the motor and c4 out about a week ago.

Anyone know how to go about doing this? My 302 has a front sump oil pan and im guessing I need a rear one. And I will need a different radiator.

Has anyone done this? There must be someone.

Thanks
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. I had one a few years ago, a '52 Customline 4 door sedan, 302/AOD. I used all the stuff from Butch's Rod shop, which no longer exists. Looking back now, I'm pretty sure the engine mounts were Chassis Engineering.

3. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

I think your rad. should be just fine,as they are bigger than the stock ford type of that era.I used one in my 52 ford with a 283 chev. many moons ago and it was fine.Either go to a bronco pan or drop your tie rod down to clear the pan.Very easy to do.

4. newstranger

newstranger

Attached Files:

5. I put a 302 in My 54 Merc,used Butch's Rod Shop Mounts which as Moparsled said, were from Chassis engineering. I used an FMX trans and just had to drill new holes in the stock rear crossmember. I got a new Maverick V8 radiator and it fit perfectly in the core support, just drilled a couple of new mounting holes. try to find some 87-93 Mustang 5.0 tubular headers, they fit well and don't interfere with the steering box.

6. mark53

mark53
    from NEW YORK

look in the speedway catalog they have mount kits to do that , you buy an engine mount and a frame mount for what ever engine you have and what year car you have .

7. Jamco has mounts for what your looking for. I have a 351C witha a C-4 and I am using the stock radiator with no trouble. Runs a tad below 190 for the most part, even in the 90 plus we have had here lately

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Thanks for the help guys. Jamco has the mounts I need, but it doesnt say anything about having to get a different oil pan or modifying the tie rod. Anyone used the jamco mounts?

newstranger, did you have to get a bronco rear sump pan and modify the tie rod?

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A guy that worked for Butches rod shop still makes and sells motor mount kits on ebay,I think he goes buy opies 32 or something like that. Jeff

10. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

thanks for the tip jeff, I emailed him

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Send a PM to 4t64rd here on the HAMB. He dropped a 302 into his old 52 a couple years ago and posted pics of the work he did to the pan, crossmember, etc. Maybe do a search for that old thread, or just talk right to Da Man himself!

(Send him a few cases of Better Made chips and he'll probably come do the swap FOR ya! Ha Ha!! :D)

:):cool:

12. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

I used motor mounts from Opie's Hot Rod Shop (don't have their number, sorry!). Fox body Mustang headers fit great and make sure you have a rear-sump oil pan. Summit sells a 5.0 conversion oil pan/sump that works too, or I think a Bronco pan works too. I used a 60s 6cyl Mustang radiator but almost anything would fit. You might have to raise the tranny tunnel too. Good luck!

13. What happened to putting your other flattie back in it???

14. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

If a 66-77 bronco 289-302 will work, then you need the proper pick-up tube and dipstick tube as the rear sump used a cast bung and a screw in tube , Fox body double hump pans and hardware may work but watch out on the pan gasket . The old Hollanders had the info on putting a Y block in place of a flattie by using a truck pan and changing the bellhousing and front pump in the ford-o- matic to the later style so the convertor would fit , fordomatic was the same basic trans as the newer cruiso's and the FMX