Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I know how much advance I need????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I just put a Mallory Unilite with mechanical advance in my car...My question is how do I know if its ok for plug and play, or if I have to change the advance???...I beleive its set up out of the box for 24* advance between 3,000 and 3,200 rpm....Its a 350, mild cam, headers, m-21, 3:89 gears, 2x4 intake (500cfm each).....Thanks, Mike

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Good place to start is 36 degrees total advance. If you dont have an advance timing light then set it at 12 initial an if it dont ping under accel then you should be ok

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I set it @ 12* initial after I installed it yesturday...The only reason I was asking is because after I went from the Mallory dual point dizzy to the Unilite, for some reason it feels like I lost a little power...Dont know, maybe its just me....Also, should I run the recommended Mallory Promaster coil, or do they tell you that just to promote Mallory parts???...