Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do i identify my rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draginit1290, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

i have a 54' belair. rear axle is a 10-bolt w/drums but are worn and i want to convert to disc. problem is im not sure what the axle came out of as its got a lug pattern of 5x4.5". isnt this a ford pattern? are there other markings i can look up other than always hearing "is it a 10 or 12 bolt?"
    and does anyone know where the best place to get rear disc conversion kits from?

2. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Whats up man! Take off the cover and take a peek inside if you want to know anything about it. See if there is a tag number its better than trying to find a casting ID.

If theres a tag number, that should get pointed in the right direction

3. pictures would be a big help

4. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

its all good now, i was able to get up to a custom shop locally. turns out i was measuring my lugs wrong. i knew how to measure a lug pattern but didnt know that you measure a 5 lug pattern from the outside of the one stud and to the center of the other. sooo, a 5x4.75 lug pattern actually does measure 4.5 from the centers. (and thats why i was confused) to confirm this they let me borrow a plastic tool that had all the holes drilled for most lug patterns and it fit right into the 4.75.. sheesh, what a relief. i thought i had some crazy custom job from the previous owner.
    -as far as the rear identification, im not so worried now, as it has the standard chevy bolt pattern and i can order a kit and the axle works good already.
    -most people prolly already knew how to "properly" measure but this might help someone.