Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I identify different SBC engines

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 10, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Drop the 283 crank in the 327 block and build a high winding screamer!....... ;)

3. squirrel

squirrel

I can tell a lot by looking at them. 283 has that old look, script valve covers, canister oil filter or a thick adapter for spin on, draft tube or the fitting for the PCV valve at the back of the block, round crank flange, small damper, early small carb base intake, ram horn manifolds, etc.

283.jpg

327 has some of the early stuff, abut has different valve covers, bigger damper but not real big, usually a 4bbl but not always.

327.jpg

350 is a more modern engine, no road draft tube or hole for it, spin on filter built in, log manifolds on most of them, larger carb base, bigger damper, funky shape crank flange, smooth valve covers with holes for PCV and breather.

350.jpg

If you want to get into numbers, you'll find a 3 letter suffix code on most 350s, one or two on the 1950s-60s engines. I have several books that list codes, but they're not easy to take with me.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll take all the small journal stuff y'all wanna get rid of. You'll have to deliver them of course....;)

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I like the 283s with the 852 castings Plus I like small journal 327s. I’m just throwing that out there in case people want to scrap them. .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Wow, I thought I had every part of knowledge there was to know about the SBC engine. Then as usual, the H.A.M.B. teaches me something new. Thanks, vinfab & mgtstumpy !

Attached Files:

• sbc.JPG
      sbc.JPG
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  7. A sbc is probably the easiest engine to identify . Try to id a Ford just visually. The numbers cast are not all that helpful on them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Around here people tend to think these are made out of gold, Craigslist & facebook marketplace ads for 327's especially! But even 283's as well. Wish you were closer I'd take them off your hands.

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Cant help with I D but dont forget to give them a spin.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  10. I was not offered the option of pick and choose, all or nothing,take it or leave it.

I was told if I don't want them someone else will, if not the junk yard will tale them. HRP

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’ve ended up with Hipo stuff and I’ve ended up with 307’s. But I always take them. Then I can decide what goes to the scrap and what stays.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, blue57ford, -Brent- and 6 others like this.
  13. Yep, I take all the SBC’s I can get especially for free or close. Recently got a free 350 with with a nice set of ported power pack heads and also a set of aluminum aftermarket heads. Also, got a great deal on a rebuilt ‘66 283. The guy that I got the 283 from is supposed to also be giving me a free 400. I’m kinda liking the LS swap fad as long as it makes old small blocks cheap or worthless. :D

You know you will have to report back on what these 4 are now.

14. I will report on my findings but there are only 3 engines. HRP

guthriesmith, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. pitman

pitman

Anyone, know the year the side mounts began? I'm guessing '58, could be later. Likely when tranny tailshaft mount came along

16. redo32

redo32

17. Deuces

Deuces

307 cranks are worth keeping... You can install those in a 350 block and make a 327.... :cool:

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The "road draft tube" is the late 50's/early 60's system, the 67 Camaro SS 350(only) did have the provision in the block casting to accept a pvc fitting and to my knowledge the California destined cars used a "fresh air tube" style system similar to my 67 Novas' 327.

Fresh air tube 001.jpg

alanp561, Deuces, olscrounger and 3 others like this.
  19. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

265 cubic inch small blocks have no place to mount a starter to the block. They use a different style starter that bolts to the bellhousing.

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

EVERY small block (283, 302, 327, 350) used the "fresh air tube" (aka - Closed PCV system) in California destined 1967 Chevrolet cars.

21. Budget36

Budget36

Well, does piss or get off the pot ring a bell? You never mentioned price but if 150 bucks for 3 SBC engines, you can’t get hurt. If they want 600 for the three, you can.

Now, real question comes to mind is are you looking to buy low and make a few bucks, or do you have plans to put a SBC in something down the road?

Personally if I don’t have a use for something, I see no reason to buy it, unless I am sure I can make a buck. But, hauling 3 engines home, storing them and selling them, seems like a hassle.
    I’d say if you were 20 years old, get them. You’d use them. Maybe. Now?

Beanscoot and BigDogSS like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm sure any California resident will agree with you, especially those from back in the day that actually lived it, myself I've learned not to make "sunk in stone" statements here about things I'm not positive about.
    Seems there are plenty of trolls waiting to pounce and correct (anyone) if not entirely accurate.

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

DDDenny, I feel the same way. My apologies for sounding like I was correcting you. I was merely "expanding" on your statement...I've owned 1967 Chevrolets for almost 35 years and the whole emission set up in CA (only) for 1967 is interesting.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Blues4U likes this.
  24. SBC identification? Easy. If they are orange then from a vette.:cool: If they are black then from a truck.:p And not to mention that everything will interchange no matter what,:confused: unlike a dodge.

pitman, VANDENPLAS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its all about pricing. You can buy a very healthy (+350HP) ready to run engine a LOT cheaper than getting the equivlent built. No need to blame anyone, in fact its an opputunity for those that can build their own engines, especially with all the LS swaps where 500HP seems to be relatively easy to achieve, its just a pity the LS's look like ass :) .

26. Budget36

Budget36

I assume you are referring to my post, all good. Not sure what being in California has to do with the price of rice in China.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe I missed something but I'm not sure why you would assume I was referring to your post, I do recall quoting somebody else, and actually I think it was them that originally mentioned California issued cars in regards to pcv system components.
    Yes it definitely is relevent (to those who care) and yes, I know this is a hot rod board where (usually) these type of discussions aren't our core concern, though it has been a pretty common discussion on the HAMB in the past.
    Now that I think about it, my careful wording was in response to the missplaced terminology many people (not referring to you) use, i.e. road draft tube when it is a completely different system ( earlier design).
    As you said, it's all good from my end too.
    Edit
    I see that my quote was not inserted and my post directly followed yours, sorry.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Copy that, just saw your reply after mine.
    I’ll now go into hibernation;)

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the 1957, 265 DO have the provision for a block mounted starter motor, as well as the 283's of the same year. Both used the same casting number, and the reason for the block being prepped for a starter motor was because of the optional Turbo-Glide transmission, that was aluminum. The 57, 265 never came with a turbo-Glide however, and all manual trans/Powerglides used bellhousing mounted starters. The 57, 265, 2 barrel was the baseline V-8, but only with a manual transmission. Powerglide, Turbo-Glide, 4 barrel, ALL got the 283 engine. I have a 57, 265 block, and located one just so I could use one of my built aluminum Powerglides, if I ever get around to it.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Torkwrench and 31hotrodguy like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Please don't, "we all matter"!

egads, Deuces and Budget36 like this.