Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I identify a shock part number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Got my 47 running, been driving it around. Went out to GG's today, about 20 miles one way, and the old dog bounces around like it doesn't have any shocks on it.
    It has tube shocks on the front, and levers on the back. I intend to replace the levers in the back with the typical tube upgrade.
    The problem for me is how do I come up with a part number for the tube shocks on the front? I went to search, apparently I'm not asking the right question.
    When I was a parts counter man back in the Jurassic era, the tube shocks were stamped with a number that we referred to in a cross reference chart. Is that still how it works?
    I have no idea how old the front shocks are, they were on the car when I bought it, but judging from the ride, they are used up. And, if I'm going to take the rear lever shocks off to service them, they will be replaced with tube shocks.
    Henry's original suspension under my 47 is fine. I don't feel the need to replace it. But I need some help in the compression and rebound areas.
    Any firsthand knowledge out there? Thanks, Mike

2. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

3. Wow! Thanks Junior! I can figure out from this what I have. Used to do stuff like this all the time when I was behind the counter.
    Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can find a gas shock to go on the front, and help stiffen up the compression some.
    I suspect a weak front spring, but I still want a stiff shock, even if I do replace the front spring. If I'm going to install a dropped axle, I'll have to shorten the front shock, correct?
    I have a reversed eye main leaf from the P/O, and I'm thinking of going down maybe 2" on the axle with the reversed eye. That should amount to about 3" of drop from stock.
    First thing on the list though, is to replace the worn out shocks I have now. Thanks again for the list.