Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How do I get a title for a junkyard buy missing the VIN plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, May 15, 2021.

  1. MeanGene427
    Joined: Dec 15, 2010
    Posts: 1,883

    from Napa

    Yep, my buddy did a car trailer from scratch using mobile home axles and scrounged steel and a couple receipts. spscn tag on the frame after inspection. One can also modify one and have the title upgraded- add an axle etc. I don't remember the wording, but there were some regs about brakes being required or not, based on mph and weight?
  2. I'd start by calling DMV headquarters in Sacramento. You might end up talking to ten different people.
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    HSF likes this.
  3. HSF
    Joined: Oct 25, 2014
    Posts: 145

    from Lodi CA

    As suggested a few times, call. I've never had a problem with cars or bikes by calling first. DMV isn't taking appointments for anything title related right now so you might sit there for 2-3 hours. I call at 7:59 and 59 seconds and haven't had to wait more than 5 minutes. You might have to work a little harder to get it done but you will be able to get a title. Good luck.
    F-ONE likes this.
  4. tehach
    Joined: Oct 7, 2011
    Posts: 3

    from USA

    I did this on a 50-year old motorcycle a few years ago in California, for which I had zero paperwork. The DMV has a page at the link below. REG 343/REG 256 mostly did it for me, along with taking it to the local CHP station so they could verify the VIN on REG 31.

    In part, the DMV says:
    If you do not have the title:
    If you do not have a California Certificate of Title or expired registration card, or you only have a photocopy of the registration card, the following items are required to register your vehicle:
    A completed Application for Duplicate or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form along with an original registration card.
    If you submit a REG 227 form and the registration card shows a legal owner (lienholder), you must submit a notarized Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166) form.
    A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
    The Cost Information section of REG 343 must be completed with the purchase price to establish a vehicle license fee classification.
    A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form.
    This form must be completed by an authorized DMV employee or any peace officer.
    A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form containing the following information:
    How, when, and from whom the vehicle was acquired.
    Efforts you made to get evidence of ownership and why you were unable to get it.
    The current value of the vehicle.
  5. deathrowdave
    Joined: May 27, 2014
    Posts: 2,660

    from NKy

    I didn’t say one thing about adding a fraud number . I said add the same number as the frame . If you have paperwork for the frame adding the same number to the body , I don’t feel is not being truthful . How many early cars as in 32s for example have been built with a frame from one car and a body from another . So I guess a lot of us should be punished for adding a number to the body you pieced together , and you have a title with a frame number . You can keep California , just send me and Lloyd what you can’t title , we can take care of using the good stuff and junk the rest for you , while you are wandering what just happened . I’m sorry I got involved in this post . California seems to be way to the dark side of the planet for me . He’ll send them to me anyway , rather than crush them because you dont have a body tag , I can protect them with my guns .
  6. anthony myrick
    Joined: Sep 4, 2009
    Posts: 8,311

    anthony myrick

    Move to Alabama
    I’ve bought several from the scrapyard.
    Scrapyard writes a bill of sale. The vin plate missing may be reproduced. If so, you should be able to use the frame rail numbers and some research to reproduce it.
    My state has an officer to make sure the vin matches the Bill of sale. If the numbers are clean and match the paperwork your good.
    It took me 15 minutes to get a tag and registration for a truck not tagged in 40 years.
    BamaMav likes this.
  7. anthony myrick
    Joined: Sep 4, 2009
    Posts: 8,311

    anthony myrick

  8. deathrowdave
    Joined: May 27, 2014
    Posts: 2,660

    from NKy

    Use your free time that , you don’t waste on other things to vote . Maybe things can change with the DMV with some help on that end . I just made a suggestion as to what I would do . I also ask if the DMV could determine as an example a 32 with a frame number and title that match has a body sitting on it with a stamped tag to match the frame number incorrect . Is this a punishable crime ? If so there are plenty of free felons running loose . I just made a suggestion , it’s my 2 cents that isn’t worth a plug nickel in your case . I’m sorry to offend anyone , including you . I’d do anything to help anyone . Most of all I’d never knowingly tell you to comment a punishable crime . You must really have very well trained DMV officers , that can determine every 40 year old car / motorcycle that has had a matching number plate attached or really cares to punish you for doing so . Again I’m sorry , good luck I hope it works out the best with the ease of hast for you . Please keep me posted as to how this is resolved . Curiosity is killing me .

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.