Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I de-chrome these bad boys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have blasted two set of Corvette Valve covers with a medium that is normally used on cylinder heads and they come out great. I actually prefer the look.

2. You got a point. I just figgered I had 'em, why not do something with 'em if I could.? I've got all kinds of sets of valve covers but I thought these would look sweet back on my 283. JoshthePlater offered to strip 'em for $40. Might do that.

I know for sure Muriatic acid will eat the hell out of aluminum so I won't be doing that.

Ghost28 - they're 7-fin.

3. dgmchrome

dgmchrome

Hey guy if you care to I will strip them for 10.00 each.,but my shop is in Philly.
    It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to strip the nickel off the covers. If they have copper under the nickel , nitric (when fresh, takes another ten minutes ) The nitric will leave the aluminum with a nice white color to the metal. Thats what we desmut the aluminum with after its cleaner etched prior to plating.
    What were you doing with them after they are stripped? Also if you buy these strong acids ,what would you do with them after you are done? ITS NOT WORTH IT? also a 100.00 dollars is crazy money!! [email protected]

4. Thanks DGM. You're absolutely right, there's no point in buying all this acid for one project and $100 is ridiculous! I would like to use these on the 283 I built for my '58 truck.