Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Do I: Casting Small Rubber Bumpers & Etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT in 10-uh-C, Sep 20, 2006.

1. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Has anyone here experiemented in making authentic rubber door/hood bumpers for one-off applications? (like a 1943 Essex Dump Truck ...or:rolleyes: ) If so, how did you go about it?

I did speak with Scott at Smooth-On who was very knowledgable --but spoke at the speed of a Top Fuel Dragster! I wrote as fast as my brain could comprehend and here is what I think I heard. He suggested something called Flex 30 (which I couldn't find listed) as what to make the mold out of. He also suggested using a release agent and then using PMC-780. Here is the link to some of that stuff. He also suggested using So Strong Black Pigment.

NOW, has anyone done this where they can give some pointers or "how-to's" on making a mold and etc.?

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

There are a couple of how to books out there for cheap that are very good. I have them at home but don't remember the titles. You can probably do a quick search on Amazon and find them. It's actually a pretty simple process.

3. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

I'm not a big Eastwood fan but I think they've got a kit that might help get you started.

4. tdoty

tdoty

Hey Brent! Eastwood, I do believe, has a kit. MicroMark.com sells some stuff too - related to model builders, but it'll still work. The book you want is available from WalMart.com, Amazon or just about any bookseller can get it: How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts, by William Cannon.

I've heard good things about Smooth-On's products.

Jeffery is going to be doing some casting seminars at MM06 if you're going to make it.

What you want to do isn't too difficult, once you get the hang of it. Lots of things can go wrong, but the end result isn't bad.

Tim D.

5. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

I like Eastwood about as much as I enjoy a colonoscopy:eek: but when I looked at their stuff yesterday, I was under the impression their kit was for making plastic tail light lens --and not rubber bumpers.

I am up in the air about MM this year. I doubt I will bring any employees this year but my 12 year old son would like to go back. He actually wants to go camping this year --and I am thinking the Best Western makes a better campground!!:p They have made some radical changes in attendance and excused days, --so I don't know what will happen yet.

I had thought about calling you to see what you were building for sale this year. I will PM you.

6. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

7. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Can anyone go into greater detail on how to make the mold --and how do you go about making the "pour" with the rubber?

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Try the follow: http//smooth-on.com

this source sells moulding compound and has how -to on their site.

Swankey Devils C.C.

9. tdoty

tdoty

I used to have a link to a GREAT tutorial on casting. It was geared toward hard resins, but the process is pretty much the same. RTV molds are pretty easy, heck, you can make molds from GE SiliconeII (yes, the clear stuff from Wal-Mart) and cast hard parts with 5-minute epoxy. I can't seem to dig up the link, but I'll keep looking!

End of my night at work right now though.

Not planning to build stuff to sell at MM this year, but everything has it's price! I do requests...................providing I have time to get it done. Hope to see you there!

Tim D.

10. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Here's a good video: Reproduce Almost Anything @20 to rent (I wouldn't buy it).

In this video, the author (Ben Ridge) makes a few simple items using a small box made out of sheet-foam board to hold the item being copied. He then goes on to use the Platsil 2-part silicon liquid to pour onto the part (mixed 50:50). The resulting female mold, is then used to make duplicate parts. The Platsil he uses is not a firm mold, and the part can be easily removed from the mold. He shows how to mix, coat the part with vaseline, and pre-paint the first layer of silicon on with a brush, and then how to pour the silicon to prevent bubbles.

He also has a Web Site to sell the video and get the workbook.

The best thing I learned from the video, is the Platsil products, and how easy they are. If your dentist can do it, you can do it :)

11. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

Try local plastics supply houses. TAP Plastics has all the resins, mold materials, release agents, and how-to information you're looking for.

http://www.tapplastics.com/index.php?

Chris

12. 41fastback

41fastback

Try using Urethane roof chaulking from Home Depot. Result is a black hard rubber. Been meaning to cast something but have not done it yet. Anybody
    ever use it?